Top Ten Most Penalized NFL Teams in 2014
Which NFL Teams Had the Most Penalties Per Game in 2014?
2015 NFL Offseason
Penalties have the ability to turn the tide of an NFL game like nothing else. If your favorite squad is on the wrong end of those little yellow flags, it could cost you a win. Today, we’re going to look at the top ten (er…twelve, actually) most penalized NFL teams during the 2014 season.
USA TODAY Sports
1. The Seattle Seahawks, known, of course, for their smash mouth defense, had 8.0 penalties per game last year. This is the exact same number of flags they averaged in 2013.
2. The Buffalo Bills had 7.8 penalties per game in 2014, compared to 6.9 during the 2013 NFL season.
3. The St. Louis Rams averaged 7.7 penalties per game last season, which is identical to their 2013 statistic.
4. The Washington Redskins had 7.5 penalties per game during the 2014 season. This was up from just 6.2 in 2013.
5. The Detroit Lions were hit with 7.4 penalties per game last season, an increase from 6.9 in 2013.
(5*) 6. The New England Patriots' 7.4 penalties per game in 2014 was a significant jump from just 4.2 during the 2013 NFL season. Didn’t stop them from taking home the Super Bowl XLIX Lombardi, though.
(5*) 7. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers had 7.4 penalties per game last season, down just slightly from 7.6 in 2013.
8. The San Francisco 49ers had 7.2 penalties per game in 2014, up from only 6.2 the previous year.
(8*) 9. The Oakland Raiders' 7.2 penalties per game in 2014 matched their 7.2 penalties per game during the 2013 season.
(8*) 10. The Cleveland Browns had 7.2 penalties per game last year, compared to 6.5 in 2013.
(8*) 11. The Philadelphia Eagles' 7.2 penalties per game last season were significantly more than the 5.8 they averaged in 2013.
(8*) 12. The Denver Broncos also averaged 7.2 penalties per game during the 2014 year, which was a bit of an increase from the 6.9 they had the prior season.