Top Ten Smallest NFL Fan Bases
Which NFL Franchises Have the Smallest Fan Bases?
2015 NFL Offseason
Yesterday, we took a look at the NFL’s largest fan bases, geographically speaking. Today, as you might’ve guessed, we’re going to run through the league’s top ten smallest fan bases.
USA TODAY Sports
1. The Philadelphia Eagles have the league’s smallest fan base, holding down just the Philly metropolitan area and the lower half of New Jersey.
2. The Houston Texans, who are still a relatively new team, hold down the Houston metropolitan area, South Padre Island, and, oddly enough, the vast majority of Hawaii.
3. The Buffalo Bills manage to hold down just the western 1/3 of New York state and a tiny bit of northwestern Pennsylvania.
4. The Jacksonville Jaguars don’t have a whole lot of fans, for good reason. In fact, their fan base only extends from the Jacksonville metropolitan area into a tiny bit of Georgia’s southeast corner.
5. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers manage to hold down about half of Florida’s Gulf Coast and a few counties in the state’s panhandle.
6. The San Diego Chargers have the smallest fan base in a state that is absolutely dominated by San Francisco 49ers fans. The Bolts hold down about 1/8 of California’s counties.
7. The Washington Redskins hold down parts of just one state: Virginia. Counties held down by the ‘Skins are interspersed with counties held down by the New York Giants, putting the Redskins firmly on this list.
8. The Cleveland Browns' fan base extends from Lake Erie to Toledo to Columbus, giving them a fairly small (but extremely loyal) region.
9. The Miami Dolphins hold down the largest chunk of the state of Florida (a good 2/3 of the state roots for the ‘Fins), but still have one of the smallest fan bases in the league overall. This is what happens when you have three NFL teams in a fairly tiny state.
10. The Oakland Raiders' fan base is centered in two parts of California: Oakland itself and the Los Angeles metro area. They also hold down a few random counties in the state of Montana. Let me know if you figure that one out…