What's The NHL Record For Most Game Winning Goals Scored In A Season?
Photo by Geoff Burke-USA TODAY Sports
The Most Game Winning Goals In A Single Season
NHL Stats and Records
There’s a lot to get excited about in hockey from the ridiculous saves to the smashing an opponent into the glass, but there’s nothing like game winning goals. The fans are on the edge of their seat with every shot and then it’s over with one bounce of the puck. Don’t blink or you might miss it.
Here are the best single season game winning goal totals in NHL history.
1. Phil Esposito, 16, 1970-71 - Phil Esposito led the league in game winning goals three straight years from 1971 to 1973, producing 43 game winning goals during that span. You can argue Esposito is the most clutch player in NHL history due to his ability to come up big when his team needed him most time and time again.
1. Phil Esposito, 16, 1971-72 - Here he is again. Esposito is second all-time on the Boston Bruins list with 77 game winning goals.
1. Michel Weiland, 16, 1983-84 - This is the only time Michel Weiland scored double-digit game winning goals in his 15-year career, but he certainly had a flair for the dramatics with the Quebec Nordiques. Weiland had more game winning goals this season than his previous five seasons combined.
4. Cooney Weiland, 14, 1929-30 - This was just the second season Cooney Weiland was in the league, and he had 17 game winning goals in his first 86 games played. Weiland played a key role in the Boston Bruins making the Stanley Cup Final this season.
4. Pavel Bure, 14, 1999-00 - Pavel Bure added some excitement to the Florida Panthers this season by scoring 43.7 percent of his career game winning goals in this year alone. Bure scored 13 game winning goals in his last three years combined.
6. Charlie Conacher, 13, 1934-35 - Outside of this season, Charlie Conacher never had more than six game winning goals in his 12-year career, but he played a big role in helping the Toronto Maple Leafs make the Stanley Cup Final while also leading the league in goals and points.
6. Guy Lafleur, 13, 1978-79 - Guy Lafleur led the league in game winning goals four times from 1975 to 1979, but this season was his best effort and it paid off with the Montreal Canadiens winning the Stanley Cup. Lafleur had seven or more game winning goals in eight of his 17 years.
6. Jari Kurri, 13, 1984-85 - Jari Kurri also led the league this season in even strength goals and was a big help to the Edmonton Oilers winning the Stanley Cup. Kurri had 22 game winning goals from 1985 to 1986, leading the league in the stat both years.
6. Jeremy Roenick, 13, 1991-92 - Jeremy Roenick racked up 27 game winning goals in his first 257 games played, and this season his effort helped the Chicago Blackhawks go to the Stanley Cup Final. Roenick also had 10 game winning goals at 38 years old with the San Jose Sharks.
6. Cam Neely, 13, 1993-94 - Cam Neely led the league twice in game winning goals, and he’s tied for fifth all-time with Brad Marchand on the Boston Bruins list with 56 game winning goals.
6. Peter Bondra, 13, 1997-98 - Peter Bondra led the league with 52 goals and 13 game winning goals, and his efforts helped the Washington Capitals get to the Stanley Cup Final. Bondra had five or more game winning goals in eight of his 16 seasons.