What's The Record For Most Hat Tricks In A Single NHL Season?
Photo by Anne-Marie Sorvin-USA TODAY Sports
Players With The Most Hat Tricks In A NHL Season
NHL Stats and Records
The hat trick is one of the more impressive offensive accomplishments in hockey and there’s only been 32 cases of a player having at least five hat tricks in a single season in the history of the NHL. Basically, if a player made this list, he enjoyed a special offensive season that will be remembered forever.
Here are the players with the most hat tricks in a single NHL season.
1. Wayne Gretzky, 10, 1981-82 - This was probably the best offensive season in the history of the league, as Wayne Gretzky scored 92 goals, 120 assists, 212 points and 370 shots on goal. There was a five-game stretch this season where Gretzky had 15 goals, 10 assists and 32 shots on goal. Pure dominance.
1. Wayne Gretzky, 10, 1983-84 - Wayne Gretzky tied his own record a couple years later and had back-to-back games in February where he scored four goals each.
3. Mike Bossy, 9, 1980-81 - Mike Bossy had back-to-back hat tricks in January of 1981 and had three hat tricks in the month of November. The New York Islanders were 7-0-2 this season when Bossy had a hat trick.
3. Mario Lemieux, 9, 1988-89 - This was the best season of Mario Lemieux’s Hall of Fame career where he had 85 goals, 114 assists, 199 points and 31 power play goals. Lemieux had three hat tricks in March of 1989 and scored five goals against the New Jersey Devils on New Years Eve.
5. Brett Hull, 8, 1991-92 - This was during a three-year stretch where Brett Hull led the league in goals scored each season. This year, Hull had at least one hat trick for five straight months.
6. Cy Denneny, 7, 1917-18 - Cy Denneny accomplished this feat as a rookie with the Ottawa Senators and 22 of his 36 goals this season came in games where he had a hat trick. Denneny had three hat tricks within 10 days of December of 1917.
6. Joe Malone, 7, 1917-18 - Joe Malone accomplished the same total during the same year as a rookie with the Montreal Canadiens where he led the league in goals and points. Malone scored five goals in three of his seven hat tricks.
6. Phil Esposito, 7, 1970-71 - This came during a historic stretch where Phil Esposito led the league in goals scored six straight seasons. Esposito had three hat tricks within 11 days during December of 1970.
6. Rick Martin, 7, 1975-76 - Rick Martin had seven of his 21 career hat tricks this season where he also led the league with 80 games played. Martin had a hat trick in back-to-back games in December of 1975.
6. Alexander Mogilny, 7, 1992-93 - Alexander Mogilny played 16 years and this was easily his best season where he led the league with 76 goals and 11 game winners. Mogilny had a nine-game stretch in December where he racked up 16 goals, five assists, 21 points and 53 shots on goal.