It’s Super Bowl week, folks. Otherwise known as the most anticipated and most dreaded week of the year in my house. I’m never a happy camper the first official week of the offseason. Enough depressing stuff, though. As promised, it’s time to take a look at the top ten highest scoring NFC championship winners this morning.
1. The 1991 Washington Redskins scored 41 points to the Detroit Lions’ 10 in the NFC Championship. The ‘Skins went on to win Super Bowl XXVI 37-24 over the Buffalo Bills.
(1*) 2. The New York Giants beat the Minnesota Vikings 41-0 in the 2000 NFC Championship match-up. Those Giants ultimately lost Super Bowl XXXV to the Baltimore Ravens by a score of 34-7. Yikes.
3. The 2006 Chicago Bears, who lost Super Bowl XLI to my Indianapolis Colts, beat the New Orleans Saints 39-14 in that season’s NFC title game.
4. In 1993, the Dallas Cowboys outscored the San Francisco 49ers 38-21 to advance to Super Bowl XXVIII, in which they beat the Buffalo Bills.
(4*) 5. Just one year later, the 1994 San Francisco 49ers also scored 38 points in the NFC Championship. Guess who they beat? The Dallas Cowboys. The Niners went on to win Super Bowl XXIX over the San Diego Chargers.
(4*) 6. The odds of this are ridiculous, people. In 1995, the Dallas Cowboys once again scored 38 points in the NFC Championship game. This time, though, they beat the Green Bay Packers. The ‘Boys won Super Bowl XXX over the Pittsburgh Steelers, cementing their 90s dynasty.
7. The 1975 Dallas Cowboys scored 37 points to the Los Angeles Rams’ 7 to go to Super Bowl X, in which they ultimately lost a close one to the Pittsburgh Steelers.
8. The 2005 Seattle Seahawks scored 34 points to the Carolina Panthers’ 14, advancing to Super Bowl XL, where they controversially lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers.
9. During the 2008 season, the Arizona Cardinals scored 32 points against the Philadelphia Eagles to go to Super Bowl XLIII. They lost (you guessed it) to the Pittsburgh Steelers in that match-up.
10. The 1982 Washington Redskins scored 31 points in the NFC Championship contest, besting the Dallas Cowboys. The ‘Skins eventually beat the Miami Dolphins in Super Bowl XVII.
(10*) 11. In 2009, the New Orleans Saints won the NFC Championship by a field goal over the Minnesota Vikings, with a final score of 31-28. Drew Brees led his team to a win over the Indianapolis Colts in Super Bowl XLIV. Yeah, it’s still a sore subject.