Which Super Bowl Games Have Had the Highest Scores?
|Date & Time||Friday February 6, 2015, 12:00 PM (EST)|
|TV Channel||Stream live sports and ESPN originals on ESPN+ for only $4.99 a month. Start your 7-day free trial today!|
As promised, we’re ending the week with a look at the highest scoring Super Bowls in NFL history. Next week? We’ll start working our way through the prospects you need to keep your eye on at the Combine.
1. In 1994’s Super Bowl XXIX, the San Francisco 49ers and the San Diego Chargers scored a grand total of 75 points. The Niners took the W, 49-26.
2. 2002’s Super Bowl XXXVII saw 69 points put on the board. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers bested the Oakland Raiders, 48-21.
(2*) 3. There were also 69 points scored in 1992’s Super Bowl XXVII between the Dallas Cowboys and the Buffalo Bills. The early 90s ‘Boys had quite the dynasty and they won this game 52-17.
4. The Pittsburgh Steelers and the Dallas Cowboys scored 66 points in 1978’s Super Bowl XIII. The Steel Curtain prevailed, with Pittsburgh winning 35-31.
5. In 2012’s Super Bowl XLVII, the Baltimore Ravens and the San Francisco 49ers scored a combined 65 points. The Ravens pulled off a close win, 34-31.
(5*) 6. 1989’s Super Bowl XXIV, between the San Francisco 49ers and the Denver Broncos also saw 65 points scored. The Niners put the beatdown on the Broncos, winning 55-10.
7. The New England Patriots and the Carolina Panthers scored a total of 61 points in 2003’s Super Bowl XXXVIII. The Patriots won off of an Adam Vinatieri field goal, 32-29.
(7*) 8. The Washington Redskins and the Buffalo Bills also put-up 61 points in 1991’s Super Bowl XXVI. The ‘Skins took the Lombardi home to DC by a score of 37-24.
9. In 1986’s Super Bowl XXI, the New York Giants and the Denver Broncos put-up 59 total points. The Giants won, 39-20.
10. The Green Bay Packers and the Pittsburgh Steelers scored 56 points in 2010’s Super Bowl XLV. The Pack took the win, 31-25.
(10*) 11. The Green Bay Packers and the New England Patriots also scored 56 points in Super Bowl XXXI in 1996. The Pack once again won, this time by a score of 35-21.
(10*) 12. In 1985’s Super Bowl XX, the Chicago Bears and the New England Patriots also scored a combined 56 points. Da Bears stomped the Pats 46-10, giving the Windy City it’s only Lombardi.