Yesterday, the Cincinnati Bengals lost a playoff game (to my Colts, no less). No surprise there. It’s been almost two and a half decades since the squad gave the Queen City a postseason win (more on that in a few), so I thought today we’d take a look at the top ten NFL teams who have struggled through the longest postseason droughts.
1. As mentioned in today’s opening paragraph, it’s been a long time since the Bungles…er…the Bengals…have won a playoff game. My little sister wasn’t even alive last time it happened, in fact. The franchise’s last postseaon win came in January of 1991, 24 years ago. Joking aside, Cincy’s front office has some serious decisions to make about Marvin Lewis, Andy Dalton, and their disastrous pass rush.
2. The Detroit Lions suffered a tough loss to the Dallas Cowboys yesterday, after leading by a decent margin at the half. It’s now been 23 years since the Lions won a playoff game. They’ve appeared in 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2011, and 2014. Yesterday’s controversial interference call will surely be discussed all offseason and one could argue that the team deserved to take home a W over Dallas.
3. The Kansas City Chiefs, who failed to make the postseason this year, but lost to the Colts in last year’s infamous Wild Card game, making it 21 years since their last playoff victory. Since that 1994 win, they’ve appeared 8 times.
4. The Buffalo Bills haven’t won a playoff game in 19 years and haven’t even appeared in the postseason since 1999. With Doug Marrone out of the picture, the club is currently searching for a head coach who may finally be able to launch them into postseason success.
5. The Cleveland Browns haven’t won a playoff game in 17 years. Or a championship in 50. The team last clinched a postseason berth in 2002. This year, they were the only team in the AFC North to miss out on January football. We’ll see what Johnny Manziel can do when September rolls around, but I must admit I’m not holding out a lot of hope.
6. It’s been 14 seasons since the Miami Dolphins won a playoff game. The club has only appeared three times since that win, with their last playoff berth being clinched in 2008.
7. The Oakland Raiders haven’t won a playoff game in 12 years and have made only one postseason appearance in that span of time. The Raiders will, as per usual, spend this offseason attempting to right the ship in NorCal once again. They do have talent on their roster, now if only they can execute.
(7*) 8. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have also gone 12 years without a playoff win, with only two appearances since then. The last season they clinched a berth, though, they took it all, winning Super Bowl XXXVII. Motivation, perhaps, for Lovie Smith and the boys.
9. The Tennessee Titans haven’t won a playoff game in 11 years, but have made appearance in 2003, 2007, 2008. With a chance to remedy their QB situation in this year’s draft, Ken Whisenhunt and his staff might finally have something to work with come training camp.
10. The St. Louis Rams haven’t won a postseason contents (or even been to the playoffs) in a decade. The Rams play in one of the league’s most competitive divisions and losing their starting QB, Sam Bradford, two years in a row certainly hasn’t helped them much recently. Onto next season.