Conference championship weekend is fast approaching, which means that Super Bowl XLIX is just around the corner. I’ve got my guesses as to who will make it this year, but what of the teams that haven’t won the big one in a long, long time? There are thirteen NFL franchises that have never won a championship during the Super Bowl Era (the Houston Texans, the Jacksonville Jaguars, the Carolina Panthers, the Tennessee Titans, the San Diego Chargers, the Philadelphia Eagles, the Minnesota Vikings, the Detroit Lions, the Cleveland Browns, the Buffalo Bills, the Atlanta Falcons, the Arizona Cardinals, and the Cincinnati Bengals). Today, though, we’re going to take a look at the top ten longest Super Bowl droughts among teams that have hoisted the Lombardi Trophy at least once in the past 49 years.
1. It’s been 46 seasons since the New York Jets took home the Lombardi in 1968. They’ve gone through a lot of coaches and a lot of quarterbacks trying to win the big one again. Now, following the firing of Rex Ryan, their search for the perfect combination continues.
2. The Kansas City Chiefs haven’t won a Super Bowl since 1969, 45 years ago, despite numerous playoff appearances. Andy Reid and his team gave it the old college try last year, to be sure, but couldn’t even make it past the Wild Card round in Indy.
3. The Miami Dolphins, not for lack of effort on Dan Marino’s part, haven’t won a Super Bowl in 41 years. Their last title came in 1973.
4. The Oakland Raiders won their last Super Bowl in 1983 as the Los Angeles Raiders, 31 seasons ago. The organization is imminently expected to sign Jack Del Rio as its new head coach, starting anew once again.
5. The Chicago Bears, somewhat amazingly, have won just a single Super Bowl in their lengthy existence. This, of course, came 29 years ago in 1985. Da Bears are among the teams looking to make some serious changes this offseason, so we’ll wait and see if they can contend in the tough NFL North when September rolls around.
6. The Washington Redskins' last Super Bowl title came in 1991, 23 seasons back. The ‘Skins have had obvious struggles the past few seasons and need to get it together both in the front office and on the field if they want to have a shot at even making the postseason next year.
7. The San Francisco 49ers, who are 5 time Super Bowl champions, haven’t actually brought the Lombardi home to NorCal since 1994, 20 seasons ago. Sidenote: I spent yesterday hanging out at Levi’s Stadium. If that gorgeous facility can’t inspire the Niners to win another Super Bowl, I don’t know what will.
8. The Dallas Cowboys won their last Super Bowl in 1995, 19 seasons ago. The ‘Boys definitely had the Big D fired-up this season, but couldn’t quite eke out a W against the Green Bay Packers. Officiating controversy aside, there’s no guarantee Dallas would’ve won even if Dez Bryant’s catch had been ruled complete. Let’s try to remember that, folks.
9. The St. Louis Rams won their last Super Bowl in 1999. For 15 seasons, they’ve been trying to bring the Lombardi back to the Show Me State. If Kroenke gets his way, though, the next time they win the title, they’ll be returning home to SoCal instead. Let the LA drama continue.
10. The Denver Broncos, despite having Peyton Manning at their helm, haven’t won a Super Bowl since 1998. With all the coaching changes (and potential quarterback changes) happening in the Mile High City, only time will tell how long they’ll have to wait to earn another title.