Defense, as the old adage goes, wins championships. The team that holds the No. 1 spot on today’s list (bet you can’t guess who that is) proved this during the 2013 NFL season. Read on to learn about each of the ten defenses that had the most interceptions last year. Think they can keep it up in September?
2. The Buffalo Bills, somewhat shockingly, hold the No. 2 spot on this top ten list. The club had 23 interceptions and marched 2 of them straight into the end zone.
3. The Kansas City Chiefs, who at least started their season in incredible form (9-0 is nothing to sneeze at, even when your opponents were subpar at best), had 21 interceptions on the year. They, impressively, returned 5 of these for TDs.
(3*) 4. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers also had 21 interceptions in 2013. They returned 3 of them to the end zone.
5. The Arizona Cardinals' defense had 20 total interceptions, 4 of which were run in for TDs. Bruce Arians and Co. will surely look to make this number even higher in 2014.
(5*) 6. The Carolina Panthers also had 20 interceptions that yielded 4 TDs during the 2013 season.
(5*) 7. The Cincinnati Bengals are the final member of the 20 interceptions, 4 TDs club.
8. Despite the woes that the Chicago Bears' D faced last year, they still managed to snag 19 interceptions and return 5 of them for TDs. I can think of quite a few teams that would love for those to be their “off year” numbers…
(8*) 9. The Philadelphia Eagles also grabbed 19 interceptions last year. They only got 1 into the end zone, though.
10. The Miami Dolphins nabbed 18 interceptions over the course of the 2013 season. They returned 2 of these for TDs.
(10*) 11. The San Francisco 49ers also had 18 interceptions and 2 TDs on the year.