See Which NFL Teams Have the Highest Values
|Date & Time||Thursday June 5, 2014, 12:00 PM (EDT)|
|TV Channel||Stream live sports and ESPN originals on ESPN+ for only $4.99 a month. Start your 7-day free trial today!|
NFL teams are worth a lot of money. Consider, for a moment, that the Cleveland Browns (who operate in a mid-size market and are arguably one of the worst teams in the league), sold for $1 billion in 2012. Until the LA Clippers recent $2 billion sale (extenuating circumstances notwithstanding), NFL teams were by far the most costly professional sports teams to purchase. Today, we’ll take a look at the top ten most valuable NFL franchises.
1. Jerry Jones’s Dallas Cowboys rank at the top of this list, with a value of $2.3 billion dollars. The squad’s 2012 revenue was $539 million and they have won 5 Super Bowls in franchise history.
2. The New England Patriots, owned by the Kraft family (yes, the mac and cheese people) are worth $1.8 billion and had a 2012 revenue of $408 million.
3. The Washington Redskins are valued at $1.7 billion. Their 2012 revenue was $381 million. Owner Daniel Snyder is sittin’ pretty, I’d say.
4. John Mara, one of many NFL fans’ favorite bigwigs, is the owner of the New York Giants. His club is valued at $1.6 billion and had a revenue of $338 million in 2012.
5. The Houston Texans are worth a grand total of $1.5 billion and had a 2012 revenue of $320 million. Owner Bob McNair recently praised the club’s No. 1 overall draft pick, Jadeveon Clowney…no doubt he’s hoping to raise his franchise’s value even more by finally bringing home that Super Bowl.
6. The New York Jets, despite their recent lackluster seasons, are worth $1.4 billion. Woody Johnson’s club’s 2012 revenue was $321 million.
7. The Philadelphia Eagles, currently led by young phenom QB Nick Foles, clock-in with a value of $1.3 billion. In 2012, the franchise’s revenue was $306 million.
8. One of the NFL’s oldest teams, the Chicago Bears, are worth $1.25 billion. The club, which is still in the Halas family after all these years, earned $298 million in revenue in 2012.
9. The Baltimore Ravens, owned by Steven Bisciotti, are valued at $1.227 billion. In 2012, the franchise’s revenue was $292 million.
10. Jed York’s San Francisco 49ers have a value of $1.224 billion. The club’s 2012 revenue was $255 million. These numbers might start climbing if the Niners could actually win an NFC championship…third time’s a charm, perhaps?