By now, y’all know that I love a good statistic. Very few of them actually surprise me, though (I spend a lot of time reading football stats…it’s a problem). Today’s top ten list, however, features a few teams that I really wasn’t expecting to see(i.e.: the Cleveland Browns). As you read on, you’ll learn about the ten NFL teams with the highest winning percentages in history.
1. The Chicago Bears, who are among the league’s oldest teams, were founded in 1920. In that time, the club has a win-loss percentage of .577.
2. The Dallas Cowboys have existed since 1960 and have a winning percentage of .571. The team’s dynasty of the 1990s certainly didn’t do anything to hurt this number.
3. The Miami Dolphins, who were established in 1966, have an overall winning percentage of .567.
4. The Green Bay Packers, who’ve been playing the Bears since being founded in 1921, have a win-loss percentage of .565 during their lengthy history.
5. The San Francisco 49ers, who reigned supreme during the 1980s, were established in 1946. The team has a total winning percentage of .558.
6. Clocking-in with a win-loss percentage of .550 are the Baltimore Ravens, who have only existed since 1996.
7. The New York Giants, founded in 1925, have a .547 winning percentage during their long tenure in the league.
8. The Minnesota Vikings, who have been around since 1961, have a total win-loss percentage of .541.
9. Since their founding in 1960, the New England Patriots have earned a .540 winning percentage. This is largely thanks to Brady, Belichick, and Co. Obviously.
10. The Oakland Raiders (and the LA Raiders) have a total winning percentage of .536 (the past decade or so notwithstanding, they were a good team…once). The Raiders franchise was established in 1960.
(10*) 11. Since 1946, the Cleveland Browns have also earned a .536 win-loss percentage. If you’ve been watching the team since their return to Cleveland, you know that recent years have done nothing but hurt this number. Still, though, credit where credit’s due.