And we officially have football back until February, folks! In case you missed it, the pre-season kicked off last night with the Hall of Fame game between the Bills and the Giants. We’re still living in the past today, though, taking a look at last year’s sack leaders.
1. The Indianapolis Colts’ LB Robert Mathis led the league with 19.5 sacks in 2013. Mathis had 121 sack yards. I know I’m not the only Indy fan who’s a little bit devastated that we’ll be missing our main defensive man for the first quarter of the season. Gulp.
2. Robert Quinn, St. Louis Rams DE, had 19.0 sacks for 145 sack yards last season.
3. Carolina Panthers DE Greg Hardy, who was re-signed to a major contract this off-season, had 15.0 sacks for 98 sack yards during the 2013 year.
4. Mario Williams, who looked excellent last night when his Buffalo Bills took on the New York Giants, racked-up 13.0 sacks for 78 sack yards in 2013.
5. The New Orleans Saints’ star DE Cameron Jordan had 12.5 sacks for an impressive 102 yards last year.
6. LB Junior Galette, another popular player in the Big Easy, had 12.0 sacks and 83 sack yards for the Saints during the 2013 season.
7. The Arizona Cardinals’ LB John Abraham had 11.5 sacks for a total of 100 sack yards.
(7*) 8.. Chandler Jones, DE for the New England Patriots, also had 11.5 sacks, but just 74 sack yards.
(7*) 9. Jared Allen, the Minnesota Vikings’ DE, put-up exactly the same numbers as Jones last season, with 11.5 sacks and 74 sack yards.
(7*) 10. Olivier Vernon, DE for the Miami Dolphins, is the final player to have 11.5 sacks during the 2013 NFL season. Vernon totaled 65 yards.