While it was good to see players like the Bengals’ AJ Green returning to the gridiron in Week 9, a host of other guys went down with pretty serious injuries. It’s Tuesday, so you know what that means. It’s time for my weekly injury round-up.
1. Philadelphia Eagles QB Nick Foles went down with a broken collarbone in the first quarter of Sunday’s win over the Texans. This is the same injury that kept the Packers’ Aaron Rodgers inactive for half of last season. Foles is expected to miss 6-8 weeks. In the meantime, Mark Sanchez (been a hot minute since we heard his name) will take the reigns in Philly.
2. The blows just kept on coming for the Eagles on Sunday, as they lost talented LB Demeco Ryans in the fourth quarter. Ryans tore his Achiilles, which will sadly keep him out for the remainder of the 2014 season. Ryans previously played for the Texans for six seasons and, in a classy move, his former teammates joined the Eagles on the field to show their support for the injured player.
3. Houston Texans RB Arian Foster, a star on the team’s offense, also sustained an injury during Sunday’s game. Foster left during the third quarter with a non-contact groin injury. The Texans are just beginning their bye week, so depending upon the severity of Foster’s issue, he could be back for Week 11 action.
4. In yet more Philadelphia news, OG Todd Herremans went down with an ankle injury on Sunday. Herremans was already playing through a torn bicep muscle, so this ankle issue just adds to his problems. Herremans is a key member of the Eagles’ o-line, so let’s hope he doesn’t miss much, if any, time.
5. Denver Broncos WR Wes Welker, who is one of Peyton Manning’s favorite targets, took a hard hit during Sunday’s incredible loss to the Patriots (Brady 11-Manning 5, in case you’re counting). Welker sustained a back injury that may or may not leave him sidelined for Week 10’s game against the Raiders. At least it’s a pretty assured win, Welker or not.
6. Pittsburgh Steelers S Troy Polamalu (and his hair) went down during the first half of Sunday’s big win over the Baltimore Ravens. Polamalu suffered a sprained knee, but isn’t expected to miss a significant amount of time.
7. Another Steeler, LB Ryan Shazier, also went to the sidelines during the first half of Sunday’s match-up. Shazier suffered a right ankle injury that, fortunately, isn’t thought to be serious. That walking boot he was wearing post-game? Purely precautionary.
8. The Miami Dolphins’ Lamar Miller went down with a left shoulder injury during Sunday’s surprising shutout of the San Diego Chargers. Miller didn’t sound concerned during his post-game comments, but we’ll take that with a grain of salt until there’s some kind of confirmation from the ‘Phins’ coaching staff.
9. Nate Irving, Denver Broncos’ LB, sustained a knee injury during the fourth quarter of Sunday’s game. Reports are that Irving merely sprained his MCL, rather than tearing it, so he shouldn’t be out for the season. This is a decidedly good break for the Broncs’ D.
10. The St. Louis Rams continue to drop like flies, with DE William Hayes suffering what looked to be a serious ankle injury during Sunday’s loss to the San Francisco 49ers. Hayes was carried to the locker room and didn’t appear to be moving much at all under his own power.