Legal Alaska Online Gambling, Poker & Casinos
The people of Alaska have shown very little appetite to encourage the Alaskan state to offer greater access to regulated gambling, both online and offline.
Many of the state's residents are employed by Alaska's oil industry and therefore have no desire to see the state legalize casinos, ramping up the number of Alaska's tourists.
In Alaska, charitable gambling is the only legalized form of gaming in the state, although no current legislature in Alaska addresses the issue of online gambling.
Alaska Gambling Laws - Summary and Look to the Future
Frustratingly, Alaskan law does not provide a clear description of the types of gambling that are permitted in the state. It simply states that legalized betting relates to 'bona fide business transactions' e.g. trading stocks and forex, playing amusement devices and activities authorized by Alaska's Department of Revenue.
Since online gambling does not fall under any of those umbrellas, it is safe to say that it is not legal in Alaska. However, offshore iGaming brands do accept customers living in Alaska.
Alaska Gambling Laws - A Brief History
- 1960 - Alaska's Department of Revenue given full oversight of the state's gambling activities. Bingo was the only gambling game permitted by state law.
- 1984 - Pull-tab gaming permitted for the first time by the Department of Revenue.
- 1993 - Implementation of the HB 168 regulation saw the state take full regulatory control of third-party pull-tab gaming vendors, including minimum payouts.
- 1995 - Gambling permitted on cruise ships sailing in Alaskan waters during 1995 only.
- 1996 - Three new pull-tab games incorporated into state legislature - Sled Dog Race Classic, Snow Machine Classic and Deep Freeze Classic.
What Types of Gambling are Legal in Alaska?
- Casino Gambling – There are Indian Reservations in Alaska and they are restricted to Bingo and pull tab games.
- Sports Betting – There currently is no sports betting in Alaska but you can follow any updates here. Alaska does offer unique betting options such as the heaviest crop at the Cabbage Classic as well as the number of cases of salmon canned in Petersburg each year.
- Online Betting – The only current online betting in Alaska are the Daily Fantasy (DFS) sites. There is currently no legislation in the state when it comes to online betting in Alaska.
- Daily Fantasy – Both Draft Kings and Fanduel allow players from Alaska.
- Poker – There is no online poker or live poker that is currently legal in Alaska.
- Bingo – Bingo is legal in Alaska and is prominent at Indian Reservations as well as at Bars, pubs, and restaurants.
- Lottery – There is no current state lottery in Alaska.