Legal Colorado Online Gambling, Poker & Casinos
The Colorado state generally takes a laid-back approach to the decriminalization of the gambling industry. In specified areas, the people of Colorado can visit bricks-and-mortar casinos and gamble freely in relaxed environments. The main casinos can be found in Black Hawk and Central City, with the likes of Ameristar and Isle of Capri offering dedicated casino resorts.
Many other forms of gambling are legalized in Colorado, too, with lotteries, charitable and social gambling and horse and greyhound betting all permitted within the state.
The only core facet of the gambling industry that is still prohibited in Colorado is poker in all its forms.
Colorado Gambling Laws - Summary and Look to the Future
At the time of writing, online gambling is deemed illegal. The Colorado Department of Revenue states: "Internet gambling is illegal under state and federal laws".
Colorado legislature states that for a wager to be considered 'gambling', three elements need to exist: chance, reward and consideration (payment).
However, somewhat bizarrely, there is no explicit prohibition of online gambling mentioned anywhere in the state's legislature or penal code, despite what the Department of Revenue says. Nor has any Colorado resident or tourist been charged with a crime linked to betting online. It's hoped there will be clarification provided on this in the near future.
Colorado Gambling Laws - A Brief History
- 1822 - Colorado state opens the doors of its inaugural casino.
- 1918 - Colorado state votes to outlaw the majority of gambling games.
- 1991 - Three cities within the Colorado state permitted to open legalized casinos.
- 1995 - Initial tribal gaming contracts agreed.
- 2008 - Colorado state opts to legalize roulette and craps gaming.
What Types of Gambling are Legal in Colorado?
- Casino Gambling – Colorado has casino gambling but the limits are low, $100 for all games. Casinos are only legal if they are located in Cripple Creek, Black Hawk, and Central City. Charities can operate games of chance as well but 100% of the proceeds have to go to charity.
- Sports Betting – Sports betting is legal for racing but greyhound racing is illegal in Colorado. Follow the latest Colorado sports betting news here.
- Online Betting – Online betting is legal in Colorado when it comes to horse racing and dog racing.
- Daily Fantasy – the large DFS operators like Fanduel and Draft Kings operate as a game of skill and take players in Colorado.
- Poker – Poker is legal in Colorado casinos and an attempt was made at adding it racetracks as well but it was defeated.
- Bingo – Bingo is legal in Colorado as a way for charities to raise money.
- Lottery – Colorado has a state lottery and they offer scratch off tickets and instant lotteries as well. Colorado residents can also play the large interstate lotteries.