Legal Delaware Online Gambling, Poker & Casinos
Delaware now boasts one of the most competitive gambling industries thanks to its legalization of many of the leading betting options, ranging from poker and online poker to lotteries, horse racing and casino table games.
The state's decision to liberalize gambling and compete with other well-established gambling markets in New Jersey and Pennsylvania has proven to be a good one.
What really sets the state's legislature apart from most other US states is that sports betting and online gambling has been warmly embraced in Delaware.
Delaware Gambling Laws - Summary and Look to the Future
Alongside Nevada and New Jersey, Delaware is one of only three states to legalize and fully regulate online gambling. Subsequently, offshore iGaming brands and sportsbooks are banned from providing online wagering to Delware residents.
Delaware was the first state to offer iGaming, after former governor, Jack Markell, passed the Gaming Competitiveness Act, which came into effect in June 2012.
Delaware Gambling Laws - A Brief History
- 1933 - Establishment of the Delaware Racing Commission.
- 1937 - New horse racing track opens its doors at Delaware Park.
- 1969 - New horse racing and automotive track opens at Dover Downs.
- 1974 - State approves inaugural Delaware Lottery.
- 1992 - Delaware grandfathered within PASPA sports betting legislation.
- 1994 - State approves new Horse Racing Preservation Act to permit the use of slots at race tracks.
- 1995 - Delaware's three main race tracks install slot machines.
- 2009 - Sports betting restricted solely to NFL parlays by the federal court.
- 2012 - New online gaming bill signed by Gov. Markell.
- 2014 - Delaware agrees new online poker deal with Nevada.
What Types of Gambling are Legal in Delaware?
- Casino Gambling – Casino gambling is alive and well in Delaware and they have several casinos, primarily at racetracks, that offer just about every traditional casino game there is.
- Sports Betting – Sports betting in Delaware is legal and it run by the state lottery and currently operates at Dover Downs. Delaware was the first state outside of Nevada to offer individual game betting as they offered parlays through their lottery system for some time. Delaware plans to expand their sports betting and you can see the latest news here.
- Online Betting – Delaware was the second state to allow and regulate online betting so you can play games like Blackjack, Roulette, video poker and others online with software provided by 888. While Delaware doesn’t have online sports betting yet, they likely will in the future. Delaware also allows online betting on racing. You can follow the latest in Delaware online sports betting here.
- Daily Fantasy – For the time being the large Daily Fantasy (DFS) Sites allow Delaware residents but the state officials are looking into it and will at some point release an opinion. Draft Kings and Fanduel are among fantasy sites you can play in Delaware.
- Poker – Delaware doesn’t have poker rooms but they have online poker which has shared pots with Nevada via WSOP.com creating the only legal interstate poker betting pool.
- Bingo – Bingo is legal for charities in Delaware but only on a very limited basis.
- Lottery – Delaware has a state lottery as well as instant lotto scratch tickets. Interstate lotteries are available in Delaware and parlay betting slips for sports wagering is available through the lottery as well.