Legal Florida Online Gambling, Poker & Casinos
It can be difficult for punters to keep up with gambling legislation in Florida, given that the state seems to make perpetual amendments. Nevertheless, at the time of writing, much of the gambling industry is permitted to Floridians, with casino gaming, poker rooms, horse and dog racing betting, lotteries and charitable gaming allowed.
Live poker has been permitted since 2001, tribal casinos have been in operation for many years and more than 13,000 state lottery outlets are available throughout Florida.
Social gambling, such as poker home games, remains restricted to some extent, with a punitive $10 cap per player per hand or game for card games.
Florida Gambling Laws - Summary and Look to the Future
The online gambling picture in Florida is not yet clear. Current state law suggests that online gambling is not viewed in a positive light, according to Section 849.08, which says:
"Whoever plays or engages in any game at cards, keno, roulette, faro, or other game of chance, at any place, by any device whatever, for money or other thing of value, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree".
However, most offshore iGaming brands still welcome the sign-up of Floridian players.
Florida Gambling Laws - A Brief History
- 1924 - Hialeah Park racetrack opens its doors, offering horse racing and Jai Alai betting.
- 1931 - Florida state legalizes horse and dog racing industry.
- 1935 - Florida state legalizes slot machine gaming and Jai Alai.
- 1937 - Slot machines and other forms of gaming promptly prohibited.
- 1970 - Bingo gaming officially legalized.
- 1988 - Inaugural Florida Lottery established.
- 2004 - Slot machines legalized once again in select counties.
What Types of Gambling are Legal in Colorado?
- Casino Gambling – Colorado has casino gambling but the limits are low, $100 for all games. Casinos are only legal if they are located in Cripple Creek, Black Hawk, and Central City. Charities can operate games of chance as well but 100% of the proceeds have to go to charity.
- Sports Betting – Sports betting is legal for racing but greyhound racing is illegal in Colorado. Follow the latest Colorado sports betting news here.
- Online Betting - Online betting is legal in Colorado when it comes to horse racing and dog racing.
- Daily Fantasy – the large DFS operators like Fanduel and Draft Kings operate as a game of skill and take players in Colorado.
- Poker – Poker is legal in Colorado casinos and an attempt was made at adding it racetracks as well but it was defeated.
- Bingo – Bingo is legal in Colorado as a way for charities to raise money.
- Lottery – Colorado has a state lottery and they offer scratch off tickets and instant lotteries as well. Colorado residents can also play the large interstate lotteries.