Legal Idaho Online Gambling, Poker & Casinos
Idaho's gambling laws are closely aligned to those of the Midwest. Traditional casino table games and card games such as poker are prohibited, but dog and horse racing betting is permitted, as are state-owned lotteries and charitable gaming opportunities.
In fact, Idaho is one of the strictest states when it comes to poker regulations, with state legislature expressly outlawing the card game.
Idaho Gambling Laws - Summary and Look to the Future
At the time of writing, no Idahoan state law restricts residents from using online casinos and online poker rooms. However, players are advised that playing at unregulated platforms is done so at their own risk.
Many offshore online casino and poker operators welcome Idaho-based customers, so until the state takes specific action against the online gambling industry, things will continue as normal.
Idaho Gambling Laws - A Brief History
- 1890 - Lottery-based gambling outlawed by Idaho's state constitution.
- 1930 - Slot machines gain popularity with state laws not explicitly prohibiting their use.
- 1947 - Slot machines legalized throughout Idaho.
- 1953 - Slot machines eventually deemed unconstitutional and are officially prohibited.
- 1963 - Horse Racing Act passed, allowing the formation of the Idaho State Racing Commission to manage the state's pari-mutuel Horse Racing sector.
- 1988 - Indian Gaming Regulatory Act (IGRA) approves tribal gaming.
- 2002 - Idaho State Tribal Gambling Compact sees the state's casinos allowed to offer video gaming machines.
- 2011 - Horse racing betting permitted outside of race tracks.
- 2014 - Coeur d'Alene tribe prohibited from opening a poker room within its casino.
- 2016 - Arrangement with Idaho and leading daily fantasy sports operators sees Idahoans banned from accessing real-money draft websites.
What Types of Gambling are Legal in Idaho?
- Casino Gambling – There is casino gambling in Idaho but the only games available are slot machines and video poker.
- Sports Betting – Betting on Horse Racing is legal in Idaho as well as simulcast wagering on horse racing and greyhound racing. You can follow any recent developments in Idaho sports betting here.
- Online Betting – There currently is no online betting in Idaho.
- Daily Fantasy – Daily Fantasy Sports aren’t legal in Idaho and most of the major players in that space do not accept Idaho players.
- Poker – Aside from video poker there is no legal poker rooms in Idaho. In 2015 the only poker room in Idaho was forced to close after losing a bid in court to remain in operation.
- Bingo – Bingo as well as raffles are legal as long as they are run by qualified charitable organizations.
- Lottery – Idaho has a state lottery with lotto drawings as well as scratch tickets.