Legal Indiana Online Gambling, Poker & Casinos
Almost every form of gambling was outlawed pre-1980s in Indiana. Fortunately for Indiana's residents, the state has taken a rather more relaxed view towards the gambling industry since.
Traditional casino table games and poker are now permitted, along with horse racing betting, state lotteries and charitable gaming opportunities.
Riverboat gambling is where the industry thrives in Indiana, with many vibrant riverboats open to the masses on the banks of the Ohio River and Lake Michigan. In total, Indiana generates $2.2 billion in gambling revenues each year, which contributes a tremendous amount to the state economy.
Indiana Gambling Laws - Summary and Look to the Future
Indiana's state legislature is very clear that online gambling is prohibited to all its residents. Real-money iGaming, online poker and sportsbooks are all banned, as are social media games that require you to pay to play.
Fantasy sports draft sites are allowed, so long as they don't require you to deposit money to play and attempt to win an overall prize pool.
There are currently no online gambling options in Indiana. Those wishing to place wagers online will have to leave the state in order for those bets to be legal.
Indiana Gambling Laws - A Brief History
- 1988 - Hoosier Lottery approved by state voters.
- 1993 - Indiana passes new Riverboat Gaming Act.
- 1994 - Indiana's inaugural legalized horse racing track open to the public.
- 2006 - State agrees to outlaw online gambling across Indiana.
- 2007 - Creation of Racinos approved by new state legislature.
What Types of Gambling are Legal in Indiana?
- Casino Gambling – Casino gambling is legal in Indiana and as an early adopter of casino gambling they reaped the benefits of players coming from their many neighboring states. Originally all Indiana casinos had to be riverboats but they now have land based casinos as well as casinos at racetracks.
- Sports Betting – Betting on Horse Racing is legal in Indiana and they have two racetracks. passed as of yet. Indiana has introduced a sports betting bill but it hasn’t passed yet. Follow the progress of Indiana sports betting here.
- Online Betting – Horse racing is the only form of gambling currently available online in Indiana.
- Daily Fantasy – Daily Fantasy Sports is legal in Indiana and has passed through their legal system. Fanduel, Draft Kings, and others all operate in Indiana.
- Poker – Indiana has live poker rooms in their casinos and electronic poker in their racinos.
- Bingo – Bingo in Indiana is only for charities and they must register with the state.
- Lottery – The Indiana lottery is called the Hoosier Lottery and they offer several drawings as well as interstate drawings like the Mega Millions and Powerball.