Legal Kansas Online Gambling, Poker & Casinos
Kansas adopts a very liberal attitude towards the gambling industry in the main. There is no aspect of the gambling scene that appears to be prohibited at the time of writing.
There is no legislation that exists yet surrounding online gambling; nor is there any legislation covering daily fantasy sports.
The state took a giant step towards embracing the casino scene in 2006 when it approved four new commercial casinos that have had a huge impact on the state's economy.
Kansas Gambling Laws - Summary and Look to the Future
As previously stated, no legislation exists to outlaw online gambling and there have been no cases of Kansas residents being prosecuted for placing wagers online to date.
This suggests that online gambling is not seen as a threat and is likely to have a bright future, particularly with the raft of offshore casinos, poker rooms and sportsbooks available.
Kansas Gambling Laws - A Brief History
- 1868 - Kansas state prohibits the use of gambling tables or devices.
- 1895 - All forms of gambling prohibited except state-operated fair games.
- 1903 - All slot machines prohibited.
- 1974 - Congress agrees to change constitution to allow Kansas state to license, regulate and tax bingo gaming.
- 1986 - State-owned lottery approved, as well as not-for-profit dog and horse racing.
- 1995 - State welcomes four new tribal casinos.
- 2006 - New Senate Bill 66 permits state lottery to operate, along with four new commercial casinos.
- 2009 - Boot Hill Casino becomes Kansas' first commercial casino in Dodge City.
- 2015 - State deems daily fantasy sports platforms legal.
What Types of Gambling are Legal in Kansas?
- Casino Gambling – Casino gambling is legal in Kansas and they have all of the typical games like Blackjack, Roulette, Craps, Slots, Video Poker and more.
- Sports Betting – Sports betting on horses and greyhounds is legal in Kansas but there are no tracks and no physical facilities that take bets. Kansas has introduced a sports betting bill that hasn’t passed yet but you can follow the progress of sports betting in Kansas here.
- Online Betting – Online betting is legal in Kansas for horse and greyhound racing and as far as online sports betting on other sports it will likely come later. Follow online betting in Kansas here.
- Daily Fantasy – Most of the major DFS companies like Fanduel and Draft Kings take players from Kansas.
- Poker – Several of the casinos in Kansas have poker rooms.
- Bingo – Bingo is legal in Kansas and charitable organizations have to register with the state.
- Lottery – Kansas has a lottery as well taking part in the large interstate lotteries. Lottery tickets cannot be purchased online in Kansas.