Legal Maine Online Gambling, Poker & Casinos
It has taken some time but the people of Maine are finally beginning to benefit from an easing of restrictions on gambling activity throughout the state. Although many people in the state are pro-gambling - within reason - it has taken many decades for state laws to be ratified.
In 2012, Maine's first ever land-based casino opened its doors to the general public. Racinos have been a key feature in Maine's gambling industry for some time now, with race tracks offering a string of video poker and slot machines alongside its legalized horse racing betting.
Poker is still not legalized in any form - both offline and online - however, charitable and social gambling is permitted.
Maine Gambling Laws - Summary and Look to the Future
None of Maine's state legislation prohibits online gambling, but that may be because the state's laws simply haven't kept pace with the changing face of technology.
Section 5-A of Maine's gambling legislature says: "Illegal gambling machine means any machine, including electronic devices, however operated and used to advance gambling activity."
However, at present, no individual residing in Maine has been prosecuted for placing an online wager. It would appear that the state is more focused on cracking down on illegal gambling operators than individual bettors.
Maine Gambling Laws - A Brief History
- 1820 - State prohibits all forms of gambling.
- 1973 - State-operated lottery established for the first time.
- 2004 - Maine race tracks permitted to operate slot machines.
- 2012 - Maine's inaugural legalized casino opens its doors.
What Types of Gambling are Legal in Maine?
- Casino Gambling – Maine has casino gambling at their racetracks offering all of the most popular table games and slots.
- Sports Betting – Sports betting in Maine is limited to horse racing and there currently aren’t any bills for expansion. You can follow any developments on Maine sports betting here.
- Online Betting – There is no online betting in Maine.
- Daily Fantasy – DFS sites like Fanduel and Draft Kings operate in Maine as they claim and exemption under a skills gaming law.
- Poker – There is one legal poker room in Maine and it is at Hollywood Casino.
- Bingo – Bingo is legal in Maine for charities but the Penobscot Tribe also offers high stakes bingo.
- Lottery – Maine has a lottery has two daily drawings plus other state lotto offerings as well as the large interstate lotteries like Powerball and Mega Millions.