Legal Missouri Online Gambling, Poker & Casinos
Although Missouri is often overlooked due to its location in the heart of Middle America, its gambling industry is very much alive and kicking. Thanks to some progressive provisions back in the 1990s, casino gambling has really taken off in Missouri.
The state's riverboat gambling scene remains extremely popular and its state-operated lottery is equally well-received. Some 13 commercial casinos also operate throughout Missouri today and all of these facets combined help to generate $1.7 billion in annual revenues.
Missouri's casino scene has really taken off since 2008 when the state's people voted to throw out an existing $500 ceiling on player winnings at the casino.
Missouri Gambling Laws - Summary and Look to the Future
Presently, the state of Missouri has not sought to tackle the issue of online gambling head-on. However, existing state law suggests it is prohibited. That's because Missouri law outlines that all forms of legalized gambling must be regulated by the state. As the online gambling industry is entirely unregulated in Missouri, this should be an instant red flag.
The state also prohibits the "possession of a gambling device" which could be deemed as anything from playing cards or poker chips to software utilized to place bets online.
Missouri Gambling Laws - A Brief History
- 1800s - Riverboat casino gambling in high demand throughout Missouri.
- 1980 - State votes to legalize charitable bingo and raffles.
- 1986 - State-operated Missouri Lottery established.
- 1992 - State agrees to de-criminalize riverboat gambling again.
- 2008 - Betting limits at casino table games lifted by the state.
What Types of Gambling are Legal in Mississippi?
- Casino Gambling – Missouri has several casinos and there is no limit on the types of games they can have. Missouri currently has 13 casinos operating.
- Sports Betting – There is currently no sports betting in Missouri as there are no horse racing tracks and simulcast wagering is only allowed on live race days. Missouri has introduced but not passed a sports betting bill and you can follow the progress of Missouri sports betting here.
- Online Betting – Online betting is not legal in Missouri and it will be interested to see if that changes if sports betting is approved. You can follow any developments regarding online betting in Missouri here.
- Daily Fantasy – Daily Fantasy (DFS) is legal in Missouri and most of the major players in the industry like Draft Kings and Fanduel accept players from the state.
- Poker – Poker is legal in Missouri at several of the casinos.
- Bingo – Charitable Bingo is legal in Missouri but the charities must be registered.
- Lottery – Missouri has a lottery that has lotto drawings, instant scratch tickets, and interstate lottery ticket sales.