Legal Ohio Online Gambling, Poker & Casinos
After many failed attempts to legalize the casino gambling industry, the Buckeye State eventually agreed to the creation of commercial casinos in 2009. This now contributes to impressive gambling revenues of $1.2 billion-plus per year. Ohio's gambling legislation is actually rather liberal, all things considered.
Aside from traditional casino table games, poker, horse racing betting, state-operated lotteries and charitable gambling are all permitted here.
Social gambling among family and friends is still prohibited, while legislation surrounding daily fantasy sports has not yet been addressed.
Ohio Gambling Laws - Summary and Look to the Future
Given Ohio's desire to have legislation for most forms of gambling, it's surprising that the state has not yet addressed the burgeoning online gambling industry.
With no mention of iGaming in the penal code, this would suggest it is not deemed explicitly illegal, but nor does it appear entirely legal, either.
It's highly unlikely that the state will start prosecuting individuals wishing to place casino or sports wagers at offshore sites from the comfort of their own home.
Ohio Gambling Laws - A Brief History
- 1933 - Ohio General Assembly legalizes wagering on horse racing throughout the state.
- 1980 - Ohio Lotto Commission established.
- 1980 - State votes to reject proposals to legalize casino gambling.
- 1990 - Residents vote against new proposals to legalize casino gambling.
- 1996 - Legalized riverboat gambling proposals also thrown out by the state.
- 2009 - Commercial casinos eventually permitted in four cities.
- 2011 - Video lottery machines permitted at Ohio 'racinos'.
What Types of Gambling are Legal in Ohio?
- Casino Gambling – Ohio has several casinos spread throughout the state offering all of the traditional casino games including slots, craps, roulette, blackjack, poker, and more. There are also racinos at the racetracks in Ohio that offer slots.
- Sports Betting – Sports betting is legal in Ohio on horse racing and there are several racetracks throughout the state. You can follow any updates regarding sports betting in Ohio here.
- Online Betting – The only current online betting in Ohio is on horse racing and most of the major sites accept players in the state. You can follow any updates on Online betting in Ohio here.
- Daily Fantasy – The large DFS sites like Fanduel and Draft Kings accept players from Ohio as they claim it is skill gaming.
- Poker – Poker is legal in Ohio at the poker rooms located at the Casinos.
- Bingo – Bingo is legal in Ohio for Charities but they must have a license which have an annual fee attached.
- Lottery – Lottery sales are available across the state in Ohio as well as scratch off tickets and instant lotteries. Larger interstate lotteries like Powerball and Mega Millions tickets are available as well.