Which Men's Tennis Players has the Clay Court Wins?
Photo by Susan Mullane-USA TODAY Sports
Highest Wins on Clay Courts - Men's Singles
Tennis Stats and Record
Winning on clay has been increasingly difficult over the years because of the absolutely domination of certain players on the red dirt. Clay is a beautiful surface to play tennis on and some players have just mastered their game on these courts. Here are the players with the most wins on clay.
1. Guillermo Vilas, Argentina, 679 wins
- Guillermo Vilas is the most successful clay court player of all time in terms of match wins. Vilas was great on clay, winning 49 titles on the red dirt and dominating his matches against opponents. Vilas' movement was impeccable on clay and he will be remembered as one of the best clay-court players of all time.
2. Manuel Orantes, Spain, 544 wins
- Manuel Orantes was known as the best Spanish clay-court player ever, until Rafael Nadal came around. However, Orantes has won 544 matches on clay and has been absolutely incredible on the dirt. Orantes was fast, patient and he knew how to move opponents around the court to win amazing points.
3. Rafael Nadal, Spain, 436 wins
- Rafael Nadal is the best clay-court player of all time. Although Nadal does not top this list, he has tops the list in winning percentage. Nadal has won 91.8% of his matches on clay, and has absolutely dominated the dirt for nearly 2 decades. Nadal is unstoppable on clay and it is hard to see that changing any time soon.
4. Thomas Muster, Austria, 426 wins
- Thomas Muster is the best Austrian tennis player of all time and he was absolutely incredible on clay. Muster was strong, agile and fast around clay courts and he is remembered as one of the best clay-court players ever. Muster is now using his knowledge to improve and train another Austrian clay-court specialist, Dominic Thiem.
5. Ilie Nastase, Romania, 398 wins
- Ilie Nastase is not remembered as much as he should be for is accomplishments on the tennis court. The Romanian has won 989 matches on clay, winning 29 titles. Nastase had a great career and he should be recognised more in the tennis community.