The West Virginia Mountaineers and the Baylor Bears meet Saturday in college football action from McLane Stadium. West Virginia enters this one at 7-4 following a matchup with Cincinnati last weekend. The Mountaineers went on to win by three scores. As for Baylor, they’re coming off a game against TCU. In that one the 3-8 Bears took a blowout loss. You're welcome to read our West Virginia vs Baylor Prediction.
West Virginia Mountaineers
The Mountaineers won six of their first 10 games this year, and they scored pretty well during that time. West Virginia averaged 30.2 points per game and scored 38 total TDs. Fourteen of those scores came via the pass, along with six interceptions and 196.7 yards per game. On the ground the Mountaineers averaged 213.8 yards per game and scored 24 times.
In last weekend’s game versus Cincinnati, the Mountaineers posted 21 points in the second quarter and 14 more in the third on the way to a dominant win 42-21. QB Garrett Greene logged 210 yards, one TD and one interception, also scoring three times on the ground. Jaheim White was the star of the show on 204 rush yards and his own TD, though.
West Virginia Mountaineers Team Facts
- West Virginia has won each of its last four November games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- West Virginia has covered the spread in each of its last four November games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- West Virginia has lost the first half in seven of its last eight road games against conference opponents.
- West Virginia has won the first quarter in three of its last four games against conference opponents.
- Five of West Virginia's last six games against conference opponents have gone OVER the total points line.
Over on the Bears’ side, they were only able to win three of their first 10 outings thanks to 22.9 points per game and 26 total scores. Baylor bagged 274.2 yards per game through passing with 13 TDs and seven interceptions. The Bears’ rush managed 3.3 yards per carry, 111.1 yards per game and 11 touchdowns.
Back on Saturday in the TCU game, the Bears held a brief lead 7-0 after the first quarter. Baylor gave up 14 points in each of the remaining frames however, losing 42-17. Blake Shapen threw for 197 yards and a TD, while Dominic Richardson led the rush on 66 yards. Drake Dabney was tops in receiving with 77 yards on four grabs.
Baylor Bears Team Facts
- Baylor has lost each of its last six games in November.
- Baylor has failed to cover the spread in each of its last nine games at McLane Stadium.
- Baylor has lost the first half in seven of its last eight games against conference opponents.
- Ten of Baylor's last 11 November games at McLane Stadium have gone UNDER the total points line.
- West Virginia rank 40th among FBS teams for points per game this season (31.4).
ANDREW’S FREE PICK
I’ll stick with West Virginia. The Mountaineers put on a rushing clinic versus a struggling Cincinnati team over the weekend, resulting in 634 total yards and 424 yards on the ground. WVU managed 9.8 yards per play with 31 first downs as well. The Mountaineers have now scored at least 34 points in five of their last six outings.
As for Baylor, they gave up 531 total yards (431 passing) to TCU along with a 9-of-11 rate on third-down conversions. The Bears have been at 25 points or fewer in each of the last four games (all losses) and will probably have issues keeping pace in this one as well. WVU should have the cover in hand.