The Akron Zips and the Kentucky Wildcats meet in week 3 college football action from Kroger Field on Saturday night.
Akron Narrowly Gets By Morgan State
The Akron Zips managed to get their first win of the season, taking out Morgan State last time out by a close 24-21 final score. DJ Irons has thrown for 258 yards, 2 touchdowns and an interception on 63.2% passing while Jeff Undercuffler Jr. has thrown for 209 yards, a touchdown and 3 interceptions on 72% passing. Drake Anderson has a team-high 67 rushing yards while Daniel George has a team-high 100 receiving yards this season. On defense, Bryan McCoy has a team-high 21 total tackles while CJ Nunnally IV has a pair of sacks. As a unit, Akron has combined for 4 sacks and a pair of interceptions.
Akron Zips Team Facts
- Akron has lost each of its last 10 road games against non-conference opponents.
- Akron has covered the spread in each of its last four road games.
- Akron has lost the first half in 13 of its last 14 road games against non-conference opponents.
- Four of Akron's last five games against non-conference opponents have gone UNDER the total points line.
Kentucky Sneaks By Eastern Kentucky
The Kentucky Wildcats managed to start the year at 2-0 after a 28-17 win over Eastern Kentucky in their last game. Devin Leary has thrown for 540 yards, 5 touchdowns and 2 interceptions on 60.9% passing while Ray Davis has a team-high 164 rushing yards and a pair of touchdowns. Tayvion Robinson has a team-high 9 receptions for 174 yards and a pair of touchdowns while Dane Key has 138 receiving yards and a touchdown. On defense, Trevin Wallace has a team-high 19 total tackles including 11 solo tackles as 1.5 sacks while Maxwell Hairston has an interception. As a team, Kentucky’s defense has combined for 5 sacks this season.
Kentucky Wildcats Team Facts
- Kentucky has won each of its last 16 games against non-conference opponents at Kroger Field.
- Kentucky has covered the spread in four of its last five games against opponents from the Mid-American Conference.
- Kentucky has won the first half in 10 of its last 12 games against non-conference opponents at Kroger Field.
- Ten of Kentucky's last 11 games have gone UNDER the total points line.
- Kentucky ranked 10th among FBS teams for H2 points allowed per game last season (8.2).
- Kentucky ranked T12th among FBS teams for Q3 win percentage last season (.615).
- Akron suffered the equal-most losses by a margin of 10 points or less of any FBS team last season (6).
- Akron suffered the equal-most road losses by a margin of 40+ points of any FBS team last season (2).
I lean towards Kentucky here. I just don’t trust Akron at the best of times, and this is not a spot where I’m going to change course. Kentucky didn’t look great against EKU, but I think they were playing with their food a little bit and I look for them to pick up a big win here and for the Zips, I’m worried that might be how many points they score here. Give me Kentucky.