Old Dominion Monarchs (4-4) vs Coastal Carolina Chanticleers (5-3)
2023-11-04 15:30:00 EDT
The Line: Betting Odds: Old Dominion Monarchs +3 -- Over/Under:
(Get latest betting odds)
The Coastal Carolina Chanticleers and the Old Dominion Monarchs meet Saturday in college football action from Brooks Stadium. Coastal Carolina is fresh off a game versus Marshall last Saturday. In that game the Chanticleers moved to 5-3 overall after a blowout victory. As for Old Dominion, they played James Madison over the weekend. The Monarchs (4-4) would go on to lose in a close outcome. Check back all season long for free college football picks at Sports Chat Place.
Coastal Carolina Chanticleers
Coastal Carolina lost to UCLA 27-13 in their opener this year, but then hit a solid 4-2 stretch over the next six games. The Chanticleers scored pretty well in those opening seven matchups, averaging 29.7 points per game with 25 touchdowns total. Coastal Carolina maintained a pretty even scoring attack between run (11 touchdowns) and pass (11 touchdowns; six interceptions) as well.
In the Marshall matchup on Saturday, Coastal Carolina was up 27-6 going into the third quarter. The Chanticleers cruised from there in a 34-6 blowout win. Jarrett Guest managed 289 yards passing with three scores and an interception. Ethan Vasko led a tepid rush on 37 yards but Jared Brown picked up the slack receiving with five catches for 117 yards and two scores.
Coastal Carolina Chanticleers Team Facts
- Coastal Carolina has won nine of its last 11 games in November.
- Coastal Carolina has failed to cover the spread in five of its last six November games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Coastal Carolina has won the first quarter in seven of its last eight road games against conference opponents.
- Coastal Carolina has won the first half in each of its last three games against conference opponents.
- Seven of Coastal Carolina’s last eight games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
Old Dominion Monarchs
Over on the Monarchs’ side, they were a mixed bag over their first seven outings as the team hammered out a 4-3 record. Old Dominion held opponents to 21 points or fewer in three of those first four victories and averaged 24.1 points per game in their first seven. The Monarchs’ passing game provided 10 touchdowns and eight interceptions during that stretch.
Matched up against James Madison last weekend, the Monarchs traded punches with the Dukes for the entire game but came up short in a 30-27 loss. Grant Wilson posted 277 pass yards with two scores, and Keshawn Wicks led the rush on 74 yards. Reymello Murphy topped the receivers with 70 yards off five catches.
Old Dominion Monarchs Team Facts
- The home team has won eight of Old Dominion’s last 10 games.
- The underdog has covered the spread in each of Old Dominion’s last seven games.
- Six of Old Dominion’s last seven home games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
- Coastal Carolina rank T34th among FBS teams for points allowed per game this season (20.6).
ANDREW’S FREE PICK
I’m going to take a stab on Old Dominion. The Monarchs posted a great effort versus a talented James Madison team over the weekend, compiling 415 total yards (277 passing), 20 first downs and a 9-of-18 rate on third-down conversions. Old Dominion has now scored 27 or more points in consecutive games following a stretch with 17 or fewer in two of three outings.
As for Coastal Carolina, they didn’t have too many issues at home versus Marshall outside of a couple turnovers and a tepid 5-of-12 rate on third downs. The Chanticleers have scored 27 or more points in four straight games themselves, so this one could turn into a shootout if both teams are on. I like the Monarchs offense well enough to take them on a home cover, though. Should be a fun one to watch.