Penn State Nittany Lions (8-1) vs Michigan Wolverines (9-0)
2023-11-11 12:00:00 EDT
The Line: Betting Odds: Penn State Nittany Lions +1 -- Over/Under:
(Get latest betting odds)
The Michigan Wolverines and the Penn State Nittany Lions meet Saturday in college football action from Beaver Stadium. Michigan last appeared in a weekend matchup versus Purdue. In that one the Wolverines stayed undefeated with another blowout win. As for Penn State, they played Maryland back on Saturday. The 8-1 Nittany Lions went on to take a blowout victory as well. Check back all season long for free college football picks at Sports Chat Place.
The Wolverines haven’t had a ton of issues against anyone this year. Through their first eight games, Michigan averaged a whopping 40.6 points per game, bagging 44 touchdowns in all. The Wolverines posted 20 pass scores, four picks and 247.4 yards per game during that time, alongside 4.7 yards per carry and 20 rushing touchdowns.
In their weekend matchup versus Purdue, the Wolverines scored 17 points in the first quarter and 14 more in the fourth to cap off a 41-13 blowout win. Quarterback JJ McCarthy put up 335 yards, but Blake Corum did most of the scoring on three TDs and 44 yards rushing. Roman Wilson led the receivers with 143 yards off nine grabs.
Michigan Wolverines Team Facts
- Michigan has won each of its last 21 games against conference opponents.
- Michigan has covered the spread in each of its last five road games.
- Michigan has won the first half in each of its last seven games against conference opponents.
- Michigan has won the first quarter in four of its last five games against conference opponents.
- Each of Michigan’s last seven games as a favorite against top-10 AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
Penn State Nittany Lions
Over on the Nittany Lions’ side, they had just one blemish in their first eight games—a 20-12 loss to Ohio State. During that span Penn State scored very well, averaging 38.9 points per game with 40 touchdowns total. The Lions’ passing (19 touchdowns; one interception; 217.6 yards per game) and rushing (4.2 yards per carry; 18 TDs) were both very effective.
Matched up against Maryland over the weekend, Penn State scored in every quarter (including 27 in the fourth) during a 51-15 blowout win. QB Drew Allar finished with 240 yards and four scores, and Kaytron Allen managed 91 yards and a TD. KeAndre Lambert-Smith (95 yards) and Dante Cephas (53 yards; 2 TDs) topped the receiving effort.
Penn State Nittany Lions Team Facts
- The favorite has won each of Penn State’s last 23 games.
- The favorite has covered the spread in 13 of Penn State’s last 14 games.
- Penn State has won the first quarter in three of its last four home games against conference opponents.
- Penn State has won the first half in each of its last eight home games against conference opponents.
- Each of Penn State’s last four home games in November have gone UNDER the total points line.
- Penn State rank 3rd among FBS teams for points allowed per game this season (11.9).
- Penn State rank 6th among FBS teams for points per game this season (40.2).
- Michigan rank 1st among FBS teams for points allowed per game this season (6.7).
- Michigan rank 5th among FBS teams for points per game this season (40.7).
ANDREW’S FREE PICK
I’ll probably just stick with Michigan here. Either way however, this should be a pretty great matchup and one of the highlights of the weekend slate. The Wolverines didn’t have any issues in their last outing versus Purdue, compiling 445 yards (335 passing), 22 first downs and 7-of-14 on third-down tries. That makes 30 or more points in every game so far this season for the Wolverines.
As for Penn State, they didn’t have too many issues in their last game either. The Lions finished with 404 yards (246 passing), 25 first downs and four takeaways in a dominant road effort versus Maryland on Saturday. Penn State has scored 30 or more in eight of nine games this year, but it’s not going to be easy hanging points on Michigan. I like the Wolverines better cover/win-wise, but this will be an excellent matchup to watch regardless of the outcome.