The Troy Trojans and the Southern Miss Golden Eagles meet Saturday in college football action from Roberts Stadium. Troy is coming off a game versus Louisiana. The 9-2 Trojans would go on to win by a touchdown. As for Southern Miss, they played Mississippi State back on Saturday. In that one the Eagles dropped to 3-8 with a blowout loss. Check out our Troy vs Southern Miss Prediction.
The Trojans recorded eight wins in their first 10 games this year, bagging 29.0 points per game on average and 34 total TDs. Troy put up 275.3 yards per game through the air with 22 touchdowns and four interceptions in that time. Rush-wise, the Trojans had 153.2 yards per game, 11 touchdowns and 4.3 yards per carry.
In their last matchup versus Louisiana, Troy faced a 17-17 tie going into the final quarter and ended up powering out a 31-24 win. QB Gunnar Watson threw for 199 yards and three scores, while Kimani Vidal rushed for 112 yards and a touchdown. Jabre Barber caught four balls for 74 yards and a TD as well.
Troy Trojans Team Facts
- Troy has won 19 of its last 20 games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Troy has covered the spread in each of its last nine road games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Troy has won the first quarter in three of its last four road games against conference opponents.
- Troy has won the first half in four of its last five games against conference opponents.
- Four of Troy's last five November games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
Southern Miss Golden Eagles
Over on the Southern Miss side, they only managed three wins in their first 10 outings this season. The Eagles had trouble scoring in that stretch with 24.1 points per game and 28 touchdowns overall. Southern Miss had 201.5 yards per game passing with 12 TDs and seven interceptions alongside 170.2 rush yards per game and 15 more scores.
Matched up against Mississippi State on Saturday, the Eagles held a brief 7-3 lead in the first quarter but didn’t score again until the fourth in a 41-20 loss. Billy Wiles put up 89 pass yards, one TD and one interception. Frank Gore Jr. added 22 carries for 66 yards, while Jakarius Caston put up 88 yards and a TD on two catches.
Southern Miss Golden Eagles Team Facts
- Southern Miss has lost eight of its last 10 games.
- The favorite has covered the spread in four of Southern Miss' last five games at M. M. Roberts Stadium.
- Southern Miss has won the first quarter in three of its last four home games against conference opponents.
- Each of Southern Miss' last six November games as an underdog against non-AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
- Southern Miss has suffered the equal-most road losses by a margin of 35+ points of any FBS team this season (2).
- Southern Miss has suffered the equal-most road losses by a margin of 40+ points of any FBS team this season (2).
- Troy rank 9th among FBS teams for points allowed per game this season (16.6).
ANDREW’S FREE PICK
I’ll probably just stick with Troy here. The Trojans are coming off a sketchy game versus a plucky Louisiana team, but they ended up powering out the win. Troy gained 367 yards of offense (219 passing) in that one with 23 first downs and an 8-of-14 rate on third-down conversions. The Trojans have now won eight straight games, scoring 28 or more points in each of the last four.
As for Southern Miss, they had another rough offensive outing against Mississippi State with 246 total yards (105 rushing), 10 first downs, two turnovers and 3-of-15 on third downs. It was the Eagles’ lowest points total since October 17 versus South Alabama (3). I wouldn’t be surprised to see Southern Miss hang around for most of this game, but Troy should have the cover.