The Louisiana Tech Bulldogs and UTEP Miners meet Friday in week 5 college football action at the Sun Bowl. Let’s preview this game and give out a pick and prediction.
Louisiana Tech Bulldogs Betting Preview
The Louisiana Tech Bulldogs need a road win here to get back to a .500 record. LA Tech has lost 15 straight road games. Hank Bachmeier is completing 66 percent of his passes for 756 yards, 5 touchdowns and 2 interceptions. Smoke Harris and Cyrus Allen have combined for 607 receiving yards and 5 touchdowns, while Kyle Maxwell has 5 receptions. The Louisiana Tech Bulldogs ground game is averaging 154.6 yards per contest, and Keith Willis Jr. leads the way with 240 yards and 3 touchdowns. Defensively, Louisiana Tech is allowing 28.8 points and 388.8 yards per game. Myles Heard leads the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs with 50 tackles, Deshon Hall Jr. has 2 sacks and Jhamal Shelby Jr. has 1 interception.
Louisiana Tech Bulldogs Team Facts
- Louisiana Tech has lost each of its last eight road games against conference opponents.
- Louisiana Tech has failed to cover the spread in each of its last eight road games against conference opponents.
- Louisiana Tech has lost the first half in each of its last six road games against conference opponents.
- Each of Louisiana Tech's last four road games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
UTEP Miners Betting Preview
The UTEP Miners look to snap a rough 3-game losing streak. UTEP has won 5 of its last 7 home games. Gavin Hardison is completing 56.6 percent of his passes for 947 yards, 5 touchdowns and 7 interceptions. Kelly Akharaiyi and Jeremiah Ballard have combined for 460 receiving yards and 2 touchdowns, while Tyrin Smith has 19 receptions. The UTEP Miners ground game is averaging 146.2 yards per contest, and Torrance Burgess Jr. leads the way with 298 yards and 2 touchdowns. Defensively, UTEP is allowing 29 points and 403.4 yards per game. Tyrice Knight leads the UTEP Miners with 66 tackles, Maurice Westmoreland has 2 sacks and Trez Moore has 1 interception.
UTEP Miners Team Facts
- UTEP has won seven of its last eight home games in September.
- UTEP has failed to cover the spread in five of its last six September games as a favorite against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Seven of UTEP's last eight home games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
- UTEP ranked 22nd among FBS teams for Q2 points per game last season (10.9).
- UTEP ranked T30th among FBS teams for Q2 points allowed per game last season (6.0).
- Louisiana Tech was one of only six FBS teams to lose 4+ games when leading after Q1 last season.
- Louisiana Tech ranked 25th among FBS teams for Q1 win percentage last season (.583).
I'm not running to the window to back either of these teams, but the UTEP Miners are at least at home, and that's where I give the edge in a near pick spot. The Louisiana Tech Bulldogs are 101st in scoring defense and 129th in rush defense, two things you don't want to see when going on the road. Obviously, UTEP has issues of its own on both sides of the ball, but I'm banking on home field being the difference here. Give me the Miners if forced to pick.