The Liberty Flames and the UTEP Miners meet Saturday in college football action from the Sun Bowl. Liberty comes into this one after a meeting with UMass last weekend. In that one the Flames remained undefeated with a blowout victory. As for UTEP, they played Middle Tennessee in their last game. The Miners fell to 3-8 with a four-point loss there. Here you can read our Liberty vs UTEP Prediction.
The Flames have been scoring at a great clip this year, averaging 39.0 points per game with 52 total touchdowns across their first 10 undefeated outings. Liberty put up 218.4 yards per game, 26 scores and four interceptions during that time, along with 278.0 yards per game, 5.7 yards per carry and 25 scores on the ground.
Back on Saturday versus UMass, Liberty jumped out to a 35-10 lead by halftime and cruised to the win 49-25 by putting up points in every quarter. QB Kaidon Salter finished with 225 yards, two touchdowns and an interception, also leading the rush with 118 yards and two more scores. Kylen Austin caught one 46-yard pass to top the receivers.
Liberty Flames Team Facts
- Liberty has won each of its last 11 games.
- Liberty has covered the spread in each of its last four games as a road favorite.
- Four of Liberty's last five games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
Over on the Miners’ side, they were only able to win three of their first 10 games this year. Much of that was due to a middling offense that averaged 18.1 yards per game. UTEP had just 10 passing scores and 10 interceptions with 202.7 yards through the air per game in that time. Rush-wise, the Miners averaged 159.3 yards per game with 12 scores.
UTEP played Middle Tennessee last Saturday. The Miners were within three points 24-21 at halftime but ended up losing 34-30 despite scoring in every quarter. The Miners’ Cade McConnell finished with 364 yards, two scores and a pick, while Deion Hankins led the rush with 48 yards and a touchdown.
UTEP Miners Team Facts
- UTEP has lost each of its last 20 November games as an underdog.
- UTEP has failed to cover the spread in each of its last seven games against AP-ranked teams.
- Each of UTEP's last seven home games against conference opponents have gone UNDER the total points line.
- Liberty rank 8th among FBS teams for points per game this season (39.9).
- The Liberty are one of only 11 FBS teams undefeated in road games this season ([z-0]).
ANDREW’S FREE PICK
I’ll probably just stay with Liberty. The Flames are coming off a nice effort versus a struggling UMass team, finishing with 549 total yards (324 rushing), 27 first downs and 7.5 yards per play. There were a couple of mistakes (specifically two turnovers) along the way, but overall it was a pretty routine win. Liberty has now scored 31 or more points in six straight games.
As for UTEP, they put up 453 yards (364 passing) and 20 first downs versus Middle Tennessee, but also coughed up four turnovers and had seven penalties for 70 yards. The Miners haven’t been scoring very well lately either, with 13 or fewer points in three of their last six. Liberty shouldn’t have too many issues winning big here.