Tampa Bay Rays (70-48) vs Cleveland Guardians (56-61)
2023-08-13 13:40:00 EDT
The Line: Betting Odds: Tampa Bay Rays -217 / Cleveland Guardians +181 --- Over/Under: 7
(Get latest betting odds)
The Cleveland Guardians and the Tampa Bay Rays meet Sunday in MLB action from Tropicana Field. This matchup marks the finale in a three-game weekend series. The Rays eked out a victory in the Friday opener, then in game two Tampa Bay kept it up with a close win. Check back all season long for free MLB picks at Sports Chat Place.
Cleveland posted a valiant effort late in the Friday opener of this series with three runs in the ninth inning. The Guardians ended up losing 9-8 despite a homer, two RBI and two runs from Myles Straw. On Saturday Cleveland coughed up three runs in the bottom of the ninth in a tough 6-5 walk-off loss. Six different Guardians players managed multiple hits however, in a good sign for the offense.
In the starter role for the Guardians on Sunday it’ll be Tanner Bibee. Over his 18 starts this year Bibee is 8-2 with a 2.92 ERA and 101 Ks in 101.2 innings. Bibee has gone 4-0 with a 1.70 ERA across his last seven starts, notching eight earned in 42.1 innings.
Cleveland Guardians Team Facts
- The Guardians have lost each of their last eight road games against teams that held a winning record.
- The Guardians have covered the run line eight of their last nine day games against American League opponents that held a winning record.
- The Guardians have led after 3 innings in each of their last four Sunday games as underdogs.
- The Guardians have led after 7 innings in each of their last four day games against AL East opponents.
- The ‘Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs’ market has hit in each of the Guardians’ last six road games.
Cleveland Guardians Player Prop Facts
- Myles Straw has recorded at least one RBI in each of the Guardians’ last three road games against the Rays.
- Andres Gimenez has scored a run in each of the Guardians’ last four games at Tropicana Field.
- Andres Gimenez has recorded two or more total bases in each of the Guardians’ last four road games against AL East opponents.
- Andres Gimenez has recorded two or more hits in each of the Guardians’ last four road games against AL East opponents.
Tampa Bay Rays
Over on the Rays’ side, they were out-hit 10-7 in the Friday opener but still were able to power out the win (despite three errors as well). Both Wander Franco (three RBI and Isaac Paredes (two RBI) had homers in that one. On Saturday Tampa Bay got the game-winning walk-off hit from Randy Arozarena, capping a wild offensive breakout in the ninth.
Zach Eflin will make the start for the Rays on Sunday. Across his 22 starts in 2023 Eflin is 12-6 with a 3.34 ERA and 129 Ks in 129.1 innings. Eflin is 3-3 with a 3.46 ERA over his last seven starts, adding up to 15 earned in a 39.0-inning span.
Tampa Bay Rays Team Facts
- The home team has won each of the last six games between the Guardians and Rays.
- The underdogs have covered the run line in each of the last eight games between the Guardians and Rays.
- The Rays have trailed after 3 innings in four of their last six games as home favorites.
- The Rays have trailed after 7 innings in three of their last four games as home favorites against American League opponents.
- The Rays have trailed after 5 innings in four of their last six games as home favorites.
Tampa Bay Rays Player Prop Facts
- Wander Franco has hit a home run in two of the Rays’ last three games against AL Central opponents.
- Yandy Diaz has recorded at least one RBI in five of the Rays’ last six games as favorites against AL opponents.
- Yandy Diaz has recorded two or more total bases in each of his last 11 Sunday appearances with the Rays as favorites.
- Yandy Diaz has scored at least one run in each of his last six home appearances against AL Central opponents.
- Zach Eflin has recorded seven or more strikeouts in each of his last three home appearances against AL opponents.
- Yandy Diaz has recorded at least one hit in each of his last 11 Sunday day appearances with the Rays as favorites.
- Zach Eflin ranks T4th in the league for Wins (12) this season.
- The Tampa Bay Rays ranks 2nd in the league for steals this season (129).
- The Tampa Bay Rays ranks 2nd in the league for opponent batting average this season (.231).
- The Cleveland Guardians ranks 30th in the league for home runs this season (85).
- The Cleveland Guardians ranks 1st in the league for strikeouts against this season (818).
ANDREW’S FREE PICK
I’m going to stay with the Rays. You could make a case either way here, however; the line’s a bit thick to mess with and this should be a pretty nice starter battle. Eflin has just one earned over his last two starts, with 13.0 innings, seven hits, zero walks and a 1-0 record. As for Bibee, he’s done well also with five earned over his last three starts in 18.2 innings total. On Saturday Tampa Bay took a while to get going but eventually posted 12 hits to the Guardians’ 13 in the comeback victory. There were a couple of spotty pitching performances in the pen but otherwise it was a solid outing for Tampa Bay. I think they’ll keep it going Sunday.