Texas Rangers (97-73) vs Houston Astros (94-75)
2023-10-20 17:07:00 EDT
The Line: Betting Odds: Texas Rangers -110 / Houston Astros +100 --- Over/Under: 8.5
(Get latest betting odds)
The Houston Astros and Texas Rangers clash Friday in game 5 of the ALCS playoffs at Globe Life Field. Let’s preview this game and give out a pick and prediction.
Houston Astros Betting Preview
The Houston Astros look for a third straight win to take a 3-2 series lead. The Astros have found their offense in their last two games, scoring 18 runs, which is a drastic improvement over the 4 runs they scored in the first two games. The Astros are 4-0 this postseason when scoring at least 5 runs. The Astros have won 7 straight games overall when scoring 5 or more runs. Yordan Alvarez leads the Astros with 13 hits and 13 RBI, while Jose Altuve and Jose Abreu have combined for 17 hits and 13 RBI. Justin Verlander gets the ball, and he was 13-8 with a 3.22 ERA and 144 strikeouts this season. Verlander is 17-12 with a 3.51 ERA and 241 strikeouts in his postseason career.
Houston Astros Team Facts
- The Astros have won each of their last eight games as underdogs against the Rangers.
- The Astros have covered the run line in each of their last eight games as underdogs against the Rangers.
- The Astros have led after 7 innings in each of their last seven playoff games as underdogs.
- The ‘Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs’ market has hit in each of the Astros’ last six day games.
- The Astros have trailed after 3 innings in each of their last five day games against AL West opponents.
Texas Rangers Betting Preview
The Texas Rangers look to rebound from back-to-back losses to take a 3-2 series lead. The Rangers pitching staff needs to get it together, as they’ve allowed 18 runs and 23 hits in their last two games. The Rangers are also coming off a loss where they were 0-4 with RISP. The Rangers have lost 4 of their last 5 games when allowing 5 or more runs. The Rangers haven’t lost three straight games since September 16-18. Adolis Garcia leads the Rangers with 11 hits and 8 RBI, while Josh Jung and Corey Seager have combined for 22 hits and 12 RBI. Jordan Montgomery gets the ball, and he was 10-11 with a 3.20 ERA and 166 strikeouts this season. Montgomery is 2-0 with a 1.88 ERA and 20 strikeouts in his postseason career.
Texas Rangers Team Facts
- The underdogs have won each of the last eight games between the Astros and Rangers.
- The underdogs have covered the run line in each of the last 12 games between the Astros and Rangers.
- The Rangers have led after 7 innings in each of their last five day games against opponents that held a winning record.
- The ‘Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs’ market has hit in each of the Rangers’ last five day games at Globe Life Field.
- The Rangers have trailed after 3 innings in each of their last five home day playoff games.
Right when it looked like the Rangers had control of the series, they allowed a championship experienced roster to even things up and steal all momentum. Dangerous spot to be in, honestly. Now, the Astros throw out Verlander, a guy who has done it all and has 220.1 career postseason innings under his belt. This is why the Astros traded for Verlander again, for games like this. The Astros have also had success against Montgomery, hitting .260 in 104 at bats against current hitters. It feels like the Astros are in a good spot and have their Hall of Famer on the mound. Getting plus money is hard to turn down with the road team.