Toronto Blue Jays (71-59) vs Washington Nationals (61-69)
2023-08-28 19:07:00 EDT
The Line: Betting Odds: Toronto Blue Jays -235 / Washington Nationals +210 --- Over/Under: 8.5
(Get latest betting odds)
The Washington Nationals and the Toronto Blue Jays meet Monday in MLB action from Rogers Centre. The Nationals are fresh off a weekend series against the Marlins, taking wins in the first two games. In the Sunday finale Washington lost in a low-scoring matchup. As for the Blue Jays, they played the Guardians in their last set and split the first pair. In the Sunday rubber match Toronto fell by three runs. Check back all season long for free MLB Picks at Sports Chat Place.
The Nationals powered out a 7-4 win over the Marlins in their series opener Friday, then eked out a 3-2 win in game two. The lone RBI came courtesy of Jake Alu, who finished 1-for-2. On Sunday the Nationals had a brief lead in the third but ultimately lost 2-1. Dominic Smith had the lone RBI, and CJ Abrams plated the run.
In the starter role for the Monday matchup the Nationals are sending out Josiah Gray. In his 25 starts this year Gray is 7-10 with a 3.85 ERA and 118 strikeouts over 135.2 innings. Gray is 1-3 with a 5.09 ERA over his last seven starts.
Washington Nationals Team Facts
- The Nationals have won seven of their last eight games as underdogs following a loss.
- The Nationals have covered the run line in each of their last nine road games against American League opponents following a loss.
- The Nationals have led after 5 innings in each of their last seven games against opponents that held a winning record.
- The Nationals have led after 3 innings in each of their last five night games against opponents that held a winning record.
- The Nationals have led after 7 innings in each of their last four night games against opponents that held a winning record.
Toronto Blue Jays
Over on the Blue Jays’ side, they fell 5-2 in their series opener versus the Guardians before an 8-3 win on Saturday. Toronto’s Davis Schneider provided a homer, three RBI and three runs in that win. On Sunday the Jays gave up four in the top of the 11th inning during a tough 10-7 defeat. Vladimir Guerrero and Davis Schneider each had a homer and two RBI.
As starting pitcher Monday, Toronto will go with Kevin Gausman. This year over 25 starts Gausman is 9-8 with a 3.23 ERA. He’s got 195 Ks in 150.1 innings. In his last seven starts Gausman is 2-4 with a 3.76 ERA and 49 Ks in 40.2 frames.
Toronto Blue Jays Team Facts
- The Blue Jays have lost each of their last eight games as favorites following an extra innings loss.
- The Blue Jays have covered the run line in each of their last eight games against National League opponents after going to extra innings.
- The Blue Jays have trailed after 3 innings in each of their last eight Monday night games as home favorites.
- The ‘Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs’ market has hit in each of the Blue Jays’ last seven games against NL East opponents.
- The Blue Jays have lost the first inning in each of their last three Monday games as home favorites.
- The Toronto Blue Jays ranks 2nd in the league for ERA this season (3.72).
- The Toronto Blue Jays ranks 2nd in the league for strikeouts this season (1235).
- The Washington Nationals ranks 30th in the league for home runs allowed this season (200).
- The Washington Nationals ranks 29th in the league for home runs this season (119).
ANDREW’S FREE PICK
I’ll probably stay with the Jays in this one. The line’s too thick to mess with, though. Gausman is coming off a pretty good start in a loss to Baltimore with two earned in 6.0 innings. Prior to that Gausman had a rough outing versus Philly (5.1 innings; five earned), so he’s been choppy lately. Likewise with Gray, who had five earned in 3.0 innings versus Boston recently but bounced back for 6.0 innings and one earned at Yankee Stadium in his last start. On Sunday Toronto’s bullpen had a rough appearance but the offense wasn’t too bad. It’ll take a much better pitching performance for this opener but the Jays should be fine.