Uruguay vs. Colombia 7/3/21 Copa America 2021 Soccer Pick, Odds, and Prediction

Goran KucarJuly 02, 2021
Uruguay vs. Colombia 7/3/21 Copa America 2021 Soccer Pick, Odds, and Prediction player photo
Credit: USA Today Sports

Uruguay and Colombia are clashing at Estadio Nacional Mane Garrincha in the Quarterfinals of Copa America 2021. Uruguay is finally showing us what they can do, and they have now scored 4 goals in their last 3 games. Colombia is not in good form right now, and they are on a 2-game losing streak during which they conceded 4 goals.

After a rocky start of this tournament, Uruguay has ended the group stage in 2nd place with 7 points, 4 scored goals, and only 2 conceded goals, and they have looked really well in their last two games. In their last game against Paraguay, Uruguay has had 49% of ball possession, 6 shots on goal, 3 corner kicks, 1 big chance created, and a solid 83% of the correct passes. Uruguay was the better team here, they have created a ton of chances, but they were able to score only 1 goal, and it was enough for a 1-0 win. Cavani has scored 2 goals for Uruguay so far, while Suarez added 1 goal. Uruguay’s form is rising, they are scoring more goals while their defense remained solid, and they will need every bit of that in this match, and in their future games if they advance to the next stage.

Colombia has immense talent, especially in the attacking end, but they have been really sloppy lately, and they haven’t been scoring a lot of goals. Colombia has qualified from 3rd place in their group where they have 4 points, 3 scored goals, and 4 conceded goals. In their latest game against Brazil, Colombia has had only 31% of ball possession, 2 shots on goal, 0 big chances created, and only 69% of the correct passes. After getting ahead in the 10th minute, Colombia was defending well, until the 78th minute when Brazil tied the score. After 10 minutes of additional time at the end of this game, Brazil has scored a winning goal in the last minute, and Colombia has lost this match 2-1. Of course, the referee has had a massive impact on the result of this game, and even though Colombia didn’t deserve more than this loss, they should have won at least 1 point. Diaz, Cardona, and Borja have each scored 1 goal for Colombia so far in this tournament. Colombia isn’t utilizing any of their offensive talents, and their defense is not good, but that loss against Brazil might get them going because they have seen it’s possible to beat the best, but they will need to play their best soccer yet in this tournament.

The trends are heavily on Uruguay’s side in this matchup, and they might not be the better team here, but Uruguay is definitely in much better form than Colombia. Uruguay has been on fire, but I’m leaning towards a draw here because this is a knockout game, and I feel like Colombia will improve their game here.

Goran Kucar's Free Pick:Draw +200
Goran Kucar photograph

A native of Croatia raised with soccer, Goran still watches and follows soccer daily as well as handicaps most of the soccer leagues around the world. Follow Goran Kucar on Twitter @GoranKucar