Legal Arkansas Online Gambling, Poker & Casinos
Back in the late 19th century, Arkansas was widely regarded as a gambling hub in the US. However, the city of Little Rock then opted to revolutionize its image by outlawing all forms of gambling for many decades.
Today, Arkansas boasts two gambling venues, with the opportunity to host many more. However, its punitive legislation means that gambling in the traditional sense is somewhat restricted in these establishments. Table games such as poker, blackjack and roulette and still prohibited.
In terms of online gambling, the Arkansas state has not attempted to make it clear whether or not online bets are illegal or not.
Arkansas Gambling Laws - Summary and Look to the Future
Section 5-66-106 of the 2010 Arkansas Code states: "It is unlawful for any person to bet any money or other valuable thing or any representative of anything that is esteemed of value on any game prohibited by state law."
Only Arkansas's long-standing racinos offer the exception to the rule, with the ability to place virtual horse racing bets, play at a few slot and video poker machines. These include the Oaklawn Jockey Club and the Southland Greyhound Park in West Memphis.
Arkansas Gambling Laws - A Brief History
- 1880 - The famous Oaklawn Racecourse opened its doors to bettors.
- 1947 - A state-wide clampdown on illegal gambling operators ensued.
- 1967 - Arkansas legislature passed to deem all forms of gambling illegal.
- 2005 - Arkansas state passes new Games of Skill legislature, permitting gaming at all racinos.
- 2009 - State welcomes a new Arkansas Scholarship Lottery game.
What Types of Gambling are Legal in Arkansas?
- Casino Gambling – Casino Gambling is legal in Arkansas but currently all of the casinos are Racinos, meaning they are located at racetracks where Pari-mutual wagering is also taking place.
- Sports Betting – Arkansas has Horse Racing as well as Greyhound racing. Arkansas also has simulcast racing to bet on races from other tracks around the US and the world.
- Online Betting – Online betting in Arkansas is currently limited to horse racing and
- greyhound racing and most of the major betting sites take players from Arkansas. You can see a list of online betting sites legal in Arkansas here.
- Daily Fantasy – Arkansas doesn’t have an official opinion on Daily Fantasy Sports so most of the major players in the space like Fanduel and Draft Kings allow players from this state.
- Poker – Poker is legal at the Racinos but currently it is computer dealt, meaning the players sit at a table but there is no live dealer.
- Bingo – Bingo is legal in in Arkansas at Bingo Halls as well as for Charity.
- Lottery – Arkansas has a state lottery as well as scratch off tickets.