Legal Louisiana Online Gambling, Poker & Casinos
The gambling industry is very much alive and kicking in Louisiana. Almost all forms of traditional gambling are permitted in the state, ranging from traditional casino games and poker (only in casinos) through to sports betting and charitable gambling.
Louisiana also boasts 14 popular riverboat casinos and a string of tribal and commercial casinos for good measure. The state-operated lottery is also as popular today as it was when it was re-legalized in 1986.
Due to its healthy gambling industry, the Louisiana economy is boosted to the tune of $2.1 billion each year.
Louisiana Gambling Laws - Summary and Look to the Future
Online gambling is not legalized in Louisiana. In fact, it is one of a select bunch of states to have specific legislation against "gambling by computer". Despite this tough anti-online gambling stance, no-one has yet been prosecuted under this provision for placing online wagers on their computer.
Most offshore iGaming operators and online sportsbooks accept Louisiana-based customers and as the state has no legitimate way of monitoring your activity, it's nigh-on impossible for you to be prosecuted for placing an online wager in any form.
Louisiana Gambling Laws - A Brief History
- 1812 - Louisiana state outlaws all forms of gambling, although this legislature is exempted in New Orleans.
- 1866 - Inaugural Louisiana state-operated lottery established.
- 1895 - All forms of gambling eventually outlawed in New Orleans.
- 1920 - State opts to legalize pari-mutuel betting.
- 1986 - State legislature de-criminalizes casinos and state lotteries.
- 1997 - Congress votes to allow Racinos to operate within Louisiana.
- 2002 - State's inaugural tribal casino opens its doors.
What Types of Gambling are Legal in Louisiana?
- Casino Gambling – Louisiana has many casinos and while many are located on the water, there is one in New Orleans that is land based as well as all Tribal Casinos are land based.
- Sports Betting – Sports betting is legal in Louisiana on horse racing and they have a bill that could allow betting on other sports at Louisiana racetracks. You can follow sports betting in Louisiana’s progress here.
- Online Betting – Online betting is legal in Louisiana for horse racing but even the offshore books are cautious when it comes to accepting people from Louisiana as their laws are among the harshest.
- Daily Fantasy – DFS is illegal in Louisiana and the major sites do not accept players from Louisiana.
- Poker – Louisiana does have poker rooms where legal poker is played.
- Bingo – Bingo is legal in Louisiana for charities but they must be non-profit organizations that are registered with the state.
- Lottery – Louisiana has a lottery as well as scratch off tickets and interstate lottery ticket sales.