The Georgia Southern Eagles and the Appalachian State Mountaineers meet Saturday in college football action from Kidd Brewer Stadium. Georgia Southern last appeared in a matchup versus Old Dominion. The 6-5 Eagles would go on to lose in a close game. As for App State, they’re fresh off a game against James Madison. In that one the Mountaineers improved to 7-4 with an upset win in OT. Take a look at our Georgia Southern vs Appalachian State Prediction.
Georgia Southern Eagles
The Eagles posted a pretty strong 32.6 points per game over their first 10 outings this year, but only won six of those games in a sketchy run. Georgia Southern averaged a nice 306.7 yards per game through the air with 22 scores but also had 14 interceptions. On the ground, the Eagles put up 128.7 yards per game with 13 TDs and 4.3 yards per game.
On Saturday versus Old Dominion, the Eagles outscored the Monarchs 7-3 in the final quarter but it wasn’t enough to make the comeback in a 20-17 loss. Davis Brin posted 235 pass yards and a touchdown. Jalen White led the rush with 74 yards and his own score, while Derwin Burgess posted seven catches for 73 yards.
Georgia Southern Eagles Team Facts
- Georgia Southern has lost eight of its last nine games in November.
- Georgia Southern has covered the spread in each of its last five games against Appalachian State.
- Georgia Southern has lost the first half in three of its last four road games against conference opponents.
- Four of Georgia Southern's last five games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
App State Mountaineers
Over on the Appalachian State side, they also won six of their first 10 games this year. The Mountaineers were even stronger on the scoreboard in that time with 34.8 points per game. App State posted 273.0 yards per game, 27 TDs and seven picks on passes, alongside 184.3 yards per game and 16 touchdowns on the ground.
Matched up against James Madison last weekend, the Mountaineers held a 10-5 edge going into the final quarter but still needed overtime to secure a 26-23 victory. QB Joey Aguilar bagged 318 yards, three TDs and one interception. Kaedin Robinson put up four catches for 68 yards and two scores to pace the receivers.
Appalachian State Mountaineers Team Facts
- Appalachian State has won each of its last 13 home games in November.
- The underdog has covered the spread in each of the last five games between Georgia Southern and Appalachian State.
- Appalachian State has won the first half in each of its last three games against conference opponents.
- Seven of Appalachian State's last eight November home games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
- Appalachian State rank 23rd among FBS teams for points per game this season (34.0).
ANDREW’S FREE PICK
I’ll probably stick with App State—so long as they don’t suffer the proverbial big-win hangover, that is. The Mountaineers are coming off an odd—but excellent—win over a very good James Madison team at Bridgeforth, notching 366 yards (48 rushing) and 24 first downs. The App State defense came up with two takeaways and held the Dukes to just 61 rushing yards in a smashmouth game. Appalachian State is on a roll with four straight wins and should perform well in this one.
As for Georgia Southern, they’re coming off a tough loss to Old Dominion. The Eagles managed 346 yards of offense (134 rushing) and 20 first downs but couldn’t translate much into scores. I’d expect Georgia Southern to perform a little better on the scoreboard here but it still should be App State’s cover.