The James Madison Dukes and the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers meet Saturday in college football action from Brooks Stadium. James Madison is coming off a game versus Appalachian State last weekend. In that one the 10-1 Dukes took an upset loss. As for Coastal Carolina, they’re fresh off a matchup with Army. The 7-4 Chanticleers ended up losing by a touchdown. Check out our James Madison vs Coastal Carolina Prediction.
James Madison Dukes
The Dukes have performed quite well this year, averaging 34.3 points per game across their first 10 (undefeated) outings. James Madison posted 43 total touchdowns in that stretch, with 27 coming through the air (along with eight interceptions and 284.5 yards per game). The Dukes managed 148.7 yards per game on the ground with 13 scores.
On Saturday versus Appalachian State, the Dukes took their first loss of the year by falling 26-23 in overtime. Jordan McCloud managed 289 yards with a TD and an interception in the defeat. Ty Son Lawton rushed 13 times for just 37 yards to lead the running game, and Elijah Sarratt caught eight balls for 128 yards and a TD.
James Madison Dukes Team Facts
- James Madison has won 13 of its last 14 games.
- The team ranked 24th in the AP Poll has failed to cover the spread in eight of its last nine games.
- James Madison has won the first half in each of its last six road games against conference opponents.
- Four of James Madison's last five games in November have gone OVER the total points line.
Coastal Carolina Chanticleers
Over on the Chanticleers’ side, they managed to win seven of their first 10 games this year thanks to a 30.1 points per game scoring average. Coastal Carolina averaged 266.9 yards per game through the air in that time, with 17 touchdowns and eight picks. Rush-wise, the Chanticleers averaged 169.4 yards per game with 16 scores.
Matched up against Army last weekend, the Chanticleers gave up points in each of the first three quarters during a 28-21 defeat. Jarrett Guest led the team on 279 pass yards, three scores and a pick. Jared Brown rushed twice for 69 yards, and also led the receivers with 116 yards and a score off eight grabs.
Coastal Carolina Chanticleers Team Facts
- Coastal Carolina has won each of its last five games as a home underdog.
- Coastal Carolina has covered the spread in each of its last five games as a home underdog.
- Coastal Carolina has won the first half in four of its last five games against conference opponents.
- Each of Coastal Carolina's last four games as a home underdog have gone UNDER the total points line.
- James Madison are one of only 11 FBS teams undefeated in road games this season ([z-0]).
- James Madison rank 20th among FBS teams for points allowed per game this season (18.9).
ANDREW’S FREE PICK
I’ll probably stay with James Madison. The Dukes need a nice bounce-back effort here after the tough loss to App State, though. James Madison gave up 366 total yards (318 passing) and 24 first downs, but also held the Mountaineers to just 48 rushing yards and had a couple of takeaways. Still, it was JMU’s lowest points total since back on October 19 versus Marshall (20).
As for Coastal Carolina, they couldn’t stop an erratic Army team on the ground last weekend, giving up a whopping 365 yards rushing and 22 first downs. The Chanticleers went just 4-of-10 on third-down tries themselves and had just 18 first downs in their lowest points total since September 21 (17). This is going to be another tough game, and I like James Madison to bounce back for a cover.