The Southern Miss Golden Eagles and Arkansas State Red Wolves meet Saturday in week 4 college football action at Centennial Bank Stadium. Let’s preview this game and give out a pick and prediction.
Southern Miss Golden Eagles Betting Preview
The Southern Miss Golden Eagles look for their first road win to get back to a .500 record. Southern Miss has split its last 6 road games. Billy Wiles is completing 53.7 percent of his passes for 598 yards, 3 touchdowns and 2 interceptions. Jakarius Caston and Latreal Jones have combined for 295 receiving yards and 1 touchdown, while Tiaquelin Mims has 6 receptions. The Southern Miss Golden Eagles ground game is averaging 91.3 yards per contest, and Rodrigues Clark leads the way with 157 yards and 1 touchdown. Defensively, Southern Miss is allowing 33.7 points and 366.7 yards per game. Jay Stanley leads the Southern Miss Golden Eagles with 20 tackles, Josh Ratcliff has 1.5 sacks and Markel McLaurin has 2 pass deflections.
Southern Miss Golden Eagles Team Facts
- The favorite has won each of Southern Miss' last seven games.
- The favorite has covered the spread in each of Southern Miss' last five games.
- Each of Southern Miss' last four games as a road favorite have gone UNDER the total points line.
Arkansas State Red Wolves Betting Preview
The Arkansas State Red Wolves also look for a win to get back to a .500 record. Arkansas State has lost 4 of its last 6 home games. J.T. Shrout is completing 47.1 percent of his passes for 227 yards, 0 touchdowns and 2 interceptions. Courtney Jackson and Corey Rucker have combined for 190 receiving yards and 1 touchdown, while Reagan Ealy has 7 receptions. The Arkansas State Red Wolves ground game is averaging 152.3 yards per contest, and Ja’Quez Cross leads the way with 231 yards and 2 touchdowns. Defensively, Arkansas State is allowing 39 points and 447.3 yards per game. Melique Straker leads the Arkansas State Red Wolves with 28 tackles, Thurman Geathers has 1.5 sacks and Samy Johnson has 4 pass deflections.
Arkansas State Red Wolves Team Facts
- The favorite has won each of Arkansas State's last 15 games.
- Arkansas State has failed to cover the spread in seven of its last eight games as a home underdog.
- Arkansas State has lost the first half in six of its last eight home games against conference opponents.
- Each of Arkansas State's last three September games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
- Arkansas State was one of only two FBS teams to lose 4+ games when leading at HT last season.
- Arkansas State was one of only eight FBS teams to lose 3+ games when leading after Q3 last season.
- Southern Miss ranked 34th among FBS teams for Q1 points allowed per game last season (4.5).
- Southern Miss ranked T35th among FBS teams for H1 points allowed per game last season (11.0).
The Arkansas State Red Wolves have some showing and proving to do, as a win over Stony Brook doesn't move the needle, and they were outscored 110-3 against Oklahoma and Memphis. However, let's not act like Southern Miss is a world beater it looked terrible in games against Florida State and Tulane, and it enters this contest ranked 117th in scoring offense and 119th in scoring defense. I'm not eager to get behind either of these teams, but if forced to pick, give me Arkansas State and the free touchdown at home.