The Alabama Crimson Tide and the Auburn Tigers meet Saturday in college football action from Jordan-Hare. Alabama last appeared in a matchup versus Chattanooga last weekend. The 10-1 Tide went on to win easily. As for Auburn, they’re coming off a Saturday game versus New Mexico State. In that one the Tigers fell to 6-5 with a blowout loss. Here you can take a look at our Alabama vs Auburn Prediction.
Alabama Crimson Tide
The Tide rattled off a nice 33.5 points per game across their first 10 appearances this year, resulting in just one loss during that stretch. Alabama bagged a modest 226.0 yards per game, 16 scores and six interceptions through the air. The ground game was pretty strong on the scoreboard however with 162.4 yards per game, 4.1 yards per carry and 23 scores.
In last weekend’s game versus Chattanooga, the Tide scored double-digit points in every quarter on the way to a dominant blowout victory 66-10. Jalen Milroe did most of the passing with 197 yards and three scores. Ty Simpson led the rush on a lone 78-yard carry, and Jermaine Burton put up three catches for 105 yards and a score.
Alabama Crimson Tide Team Facts
- Alabama has won each of its last 19 games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Alabama has covered the spread in seven of its last eight games.
- Alabama has won the first quarter in three of its last four games against conference opponents.
- Each of Alabama's last four games as a favorite have gone OVER the total points line.
Over on the Auburn side, they had their ups and downs with a 6-4 record in their first 10 outings this year. The Tigers averaged 29.3 points per game in that time, with 164.4 yards, 15 TDs and nine picks coming via the pass. Auburn’s running attack was even better with 207.2 yards per game, 5.1 yards per carry and 19 scores.
Matched up against New Mexico State, Auburn was within three points at the break. The Tigers could only score one field goal in the second half however, losing 31-10. Payton Thorne threw for 148 yards and a TD while also leading the rush with 38 yards on 17 carries. Ja’Varrius Johnson added two catches for 46 yards.
Auburn Tigers Team Facts
- Auburn has lost each of its last 10 games against AP-ranked teams.
- The home team has covered the spread in each of the last six games between Alabama and Auburn.
- Auburn has won the first half in each of its last three games against conference opponents.
- Auburn has won the first quarter in each of its last three games against conference opponents.
- Each of Auburn's last four games as an underdog against top-10 AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
- Auburn rank 40th among FBS teams for points allowed per game this season (21.5).
- Alabama are one of only 11 FBS teams undefeated in road games this season ([z-0]).
- Alabama rank 14th among FBS teams for points allowed per game this season (17.4).
ANDREW’S FREE PICK
I’ve got to stay with Alabama. The Tide put on a clinic in their last outing versus an overwhelmed Chattanooga team, gathering 574 total yards (315 rushing), 10.1 yards per play and 22 first downs. Defensively Alabama gave up just 233 yards total (107 passing) and 11 first downs. The Tide have settled into a nice groove offensively, scoring 34 or more points in four straight games.
As for Auburn, they mustered just 213 yards (148 passing) versus a pretty good New Mexico State team in their last outing, along with just 12 first downs, 2-of-10 on third-down tries and nine penalties. This matchup will be significantly harder for the Tigers, and I can’t see them getting anywhere close—even at home.