Ball State Cardinals (1-6) vs Central Michigan Chippewas (4-3)
2023-10-21 15:30:00 EDT
The Line: Betting Odds: Ball State Cardinals +3.5 -- Over/Under: 43.5
(Get latest betting odds)
The Central Michigan Chippewas and Ball State Cardinals meet Saturday in week 8 college football action at Scheumann Stadium. Let’s preview this game and give out a pick and prediction.
Central Michigan Chippewas Betting Preview
The Central Michigan Chippewas look for their second road win to improve to 5-3 on the year. Central Michigan has lost 4 of its last 5 road games. Jase Bauer is completing 57.8 percent of his passes for 1,060 yards, 4 touchdowns and 6 interceptions. Jesse Prewitt III and Chris Parker have combined for 621 receiving yards and 5 touchdowns, while Tyson Davis has 14 receptions. The Central Michigan Chippewas ground game is averaging 143.6 yards per contest, and Myles Bailey leads the way with 360 yards and 3 touchdowns. Defensively, Central Michigan is allowing 30.6 points and 402.3 yards per game. Kyle Moretti leads the Central Michigan Chippewas with 56 tackles, Jacques Bristol has 2.5 sacks and Elijah Rikard has 1 interception.
Central Michigan Chippewas Team Facts
- The home team has won seven of Central Michigan’s last eight games.
- Central Michigan has failed to cover the spread in each of its last eight October games as a favorite against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Seven of Central Michigan’s last eight games as a road favorite have gone UNDER the total points line.
Ball State Cardinals Betting Preview
The Ball State Cardinals need a win here to snap a 4-game losing streak. Ball State has lost 4 of its last 5 home games. Layne Hatcher is completing 64.2 percent of his passes for 565 yards, 4 touchdowns and 1 interception. Qian Magwood and Tanner Koziol have combined for 477 receiving yards and 3 touchdowns, while Ahmad Edwards has 16 receptions. The Ball State Cardinals ground game is averaging 119.6 yards per contest, and Marquez Cooper leads the way with 422 yards and 1 touchdown. Defensively, Ball State is allowing 30.7 points and 374.9 yards per game. Cole Pearce leads the Ball State Cardinals with 48 tackles, Sidney Houston Jr. has 3.5 sacks and Tyler Potts has 2 interceptions.
Ball State Cardinals Team Facts
- The favorite has won each of Ball State’s last 10 games.
- The road team has covered the spread in each of the last seven games between Central Michigan and Ball State.
- Ball State has lost the first half in three of its last four home games against conference opponents.
- Eight of Ball State’s last nine games against conference opponents have gone UNDER the total points line.
- Ball State has suffered the equal-most road losses by a margin of 10+ points of any FBS team this season (4).
- Ball State has suffered the equal-most road losses by a margin of 30+ points of any FBS team this season (2).
Central Michigan should be favored because it’s had more success this season, but the bottom line is these are two bad MAC teams, and I’m not eager to lay points with either side. While Ball State is worst off, has lost 4 straight games and hasn’t played any better at home, Central Michigan is 104th in scoring offense and 103rd in scoring defense. Central Michigan had a hard time putting away a 1-win Akron team last week at home. If I’m forced to pick either side in this game, I want the points. So I’ll cover my eyes and take Ball State.