Illinois Fighting Illini (5-6) vs Northwestern Wildcats (6-5)
2023-11-25 15:30:00 EDT
The Line: Betting Odds: Illinois Fighting Illini -5.5 -- Over/Under: 46.5
(Get latest betting odds)
Northwestern is coming off wins over Wisconsin and Purdue and has a chance to win 7 games for the first time since 2020. Illinois needs a win to become bowl eligible in back to back years for the first time since 2010-11. Here’s a Northwestern vs Illinois football prediction.
Northwestern vs Illinois Odds
Illinois is a 5.5-point favorite and the over / under is set at 46.5 points. It’s the third straight year Illinois has been favored against Northwestern.
Northwestern vs Illinois Injuries
Northwestern defensive lineman Duke Olges is questionable due to an undisclosed issue. Illinois quarterback Luke Altmyer is also questionable with an undisclosed injury. John Paddock will start at QB for Illinois if Altmyer can’t play.
Northwestern vs Illinois Recent Meeting
Illinois waxed Northeastern last season by a score of 41-3. Illinois has outscored Northwestern by a combined score of 88-17 in the last two meetings. While there’s been recent dominance, Northwestern has still won 7 of the last 10 meetings against Illinois. The over has cashed in 7 of those 10 games.
Northwestern Wildcats Team Facts
- Northwestern has lost 10 of its last 11 road games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Northwestern has covered the spread in seven of its last eight games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Northwestern has lost the first half in 10 of its last 12 road games against conference opponents.
- Each of Northwestern’s last five road games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
Illinois Fighting Illini Team Facts
- Illinois has lost five of its last six home games against conference opponents.
Illinois has failed to cover the spread in each of its last eight games at Memorial Stadium (Champaign).
- Illinois has won the first quarter in each of its last four games against conference opponents.
- Illinois has lost the first half in three of its last four home games against conference opponents.
- Five of Illinois’ last six November games as a favorite against non-AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
Randy’s Free Pick
Northwestern is coming off a couple of nice wins, but their offense is still the bottom of the barrel. Northwestern is 128th in total offense, 120th in rushing offense and 111th in scoring offense. It’s hard to trust Northwestern week to week, especially on the road. Illinois has its issues as well and there’s a question at quarterback, but the Illini are at home and need this game to become bowl eligible. I expect Illinois to continue its recent dominance over Northwestern, clinching back-to-back bowl berths for the first time in a decade.