Illinois Fighting Illini (3-4) vs Wisconsin Badgers (4-2)
2023-10-21 15:30:00 EDT
The Line: Betting Odds: Illinois Fighting Illini +2.5 -- Over/Under: 42.5
(Get latest betting odds)
The Wisconsin Badgers and Illinois Fighting Illini meet Saturday in week 8 college football action at Memorial Stadium. Let’s preview this game and give out a pick and prediction.
Wisconsin Badgers Betting Preview
The Wisconsin Badgers look for their second road win to improve to 5-2 on the year. Wisconsin has lost 4 of its last 7 games. Tanner Mordecai is completing 63.7 percent of his passes for 1,127 yards, 3 touchdowns and 3 interceptions. Will Pauling and Chimere Dike have combined for 575 receiving yards and 1 touchdown, while Bryson Green has 15 receptions. The Wisconsin Badgers ground game is averaging 185.7 yards per contest, and Braelon Allen leads the way with 559 yards and 7 touchdowns. Defensively, Wisconsin is allowing 17.8 points and 335.2 yards per game. Hunter Wohler leads the Wisconsin Badgers with 57 tackles, James Thompson Jr. has 3 tackles and Ricardo Hallman has 4 interceptions.
Wisconsin Badgers Team Facts
- Wisconsin has won 19 of its last 24 October games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Wisconsin has failed to cover the spread in five of its last six games as a favorite against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Wisconsin has won the first half in each of its last five games against conference opponents at Memorial Stadium (Champaign).
- Wisconsin has won the first quarter in four of its last five games against conference opponents at Memorial Stadium (Champaign).
- Each of Wisconsin’s last four games against non-AP-ranked teams at Memorial Stadium (Champaign) have gone UNDER the total points line.
Illinois Fighting Illini Betting Preview
The Illinois Fighting Illini look for back-to-back wins to get back to a .500 record. Illinois has won 7 of its last 11 home games. Luke Altmyer is completing 63.3 percent of his passes for 1,571 yards, 8 touchdowns and 9 interceptions. Isaiah Williams and Pat Bryant have combined for 838 receiving yards and 6 touchdowns, while Casey Washington has 21 receptions. The Illinois Fighting Illini ground game is averaging 124.6 yards per contest, and Reggie Love III leads the way with 257 yards and 1 touchdown. Defensively, Illinois is allowing 28.1 points and 398.4 yards per game. Dylan Rosiek leads the Illinois Fighting Illini with 45 tackles, Seth Coleman has 3 sacks and Xavier Scott has 2 interceptions.
Illinois Fighting Illini Team Facts
- Illinois has won four of its last five October games as an underdog.
- Illinois has failed to cover the spread in each of its last six games at Memorial Stadium (Champaign).
- Illinois has lost the first half in three of its last four games against conference opponents.
- Seven of Illinois’ last eight October home games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
- Wisconsin rank T27th among FBS teams for points allowed per game this season (18.4).
Wisconsin has issues finishing drives offensively, but it’s a top-25 defense in college football, and that doesn’t bode well for the Illinois Fighting Illini. Illinois cant run the football and is 118th in scoring offense. I have a hard time seeing the home team have offensive success in this spot. Wisconsin has its hiccups, but it lays tough nosed football and usually bullies lesser opponents. Illinois is a subpar at best Big Ten team that struggles on both sides of the ball. It may not be pretty, but Wisconsin should win this game. I’ll lay the small chalk.