The Alabama Crimson Tide and Mississippi State Bulldogs meet Saturday in week 5 college football action at Davis Wade Stadium. Let’s preview this game and give out a pick and prediction.
Alabama Crimson Tide Betting Preview
The Alabama Crimson Tide look for their second road win to improve to 4-1 on the season. Alabama has won 6 of its last 8 road games. Jalen Milroe is completing 66.7 percent of his passes for 674 yards, 6 touchdowns and 3 interceptions. Jermaine Burton and Isaiah Bond have combined for 351 receiving yards and 3 touchdowns, while Amari Niblack has 5 receptions. The Alabama Crimson Tide ground game is averaging 165.8 yards per contest, and Jase McClellan leads the way with 263 yards and 2 touchdowns. Defensively, Alabama is allowing 13.5 points and 307.5 yards per game. Caleb Downs leads the Alabama Crimson Tide with 27 tackles, Dallas Turner has 4.5 sacks and Jaylen Key has 1 interception.
Alabama Crimson Tide Team Facts
- Alabama has won each of its last 14 games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Alabama has covered the spread in seven of its last eight games against Mississippi State.
- Alabama has lost the first half in four of its last five road games against conference opponents.
- Each of Alabama's last five games as a favorite against Mississippi State have gone UNDER the total points line.
Mississippi State Bulldogs Betting Preview
The Mississippi State Bulldogs look for their third home win to get above a .500 record. Mississippi State has won 8 of its last 10 home games. Will Rogers is completing 60.7 percent of his passes for 979 yards, 6 touchdowns and 1 interception. Lideatrick Griffin and Justin Robinson have combined for 532 receiving yards and 3 touchdowns, while Zavion Thomas has 8 receptions. The Mississippi State Bulldogs ground game is averaging 142.3 yards per contest, and Jo'quavious Marks leads the way with 352 yards and 4 touchdowns. Defensively, Mississippi State is allowing 27.3 points and 400.3 yards per game. Jett Johnson leads the Mississippi State Bulldogs with 45 tackles, Nathaniel Watson has 3 sacks and Shawn Preston Jr. has 1 interception.
Mississippi State Bulldogs Team Facts
- The favorite has won each of Mississippi State's last 10 games at Davis Wade Stadium.
- The favorite has covered the spread in seven of the last eight games between Alabama and Mississippi State.
- Mississippi State has lost the first half in each of its last four games against conference opponents.
- Each of the last five games between Alabama and Mississippi State have gone UNDER the total points line.
- Mississippi State ranked 3rd among FBS teams for Q1 points allowed per game last season (2.1).
- Mississippi State ranked T9th among FBS teams for H1 points allowed per game last season (8.5).
- Alabama ranked 1st among FBS teams for H2 win percentage last season (.923).
- Alabama ranked T2nd among FBS teams for H1 points per game last season (23.0).
The Mississippi State Bulldogs didn't look good against LSU or South Carolina, and you could argue Alabama is the best team they've faced yet. Mississippi State is rough defensively, and that includes being ranked 122nd against the pass. With that said, Alabama has issues of its own as it's struggled in each of its last 3 games, and it's fair to question if there's a quarterback problem. I'm not laying more than two touchdowns on the road with the Crimson Tide. Until proven otherwise, this is the worst Alabama team we've seen in recent memory. Give me the free touchdowns with Mississippi State at home.