Tulane Green Wave (11-1) vs SMU Mustangs (10-2)
2023-12-02 16:00:00 EDT
The Line: Betting Odds: Tulane Green Wave -6 -- Over/Under: 52.5
(Get latest betting odds)
The SMU Mustangs and the Tulane Green Wave meet in the AAC championship game from Yulman Stadium on Saturday afternoon. Can SMU go into Yulman and win the AAC crown? Or will Tulane hold down home field and hoist the trophy? Let’s dive in and find out. You’re welcome to read our SMU vs Tulane Prediction.
SMU Mustangs Team Preview
The SMU Mustangs come into this one with a record of 10-2 on the year, booking their spot in the title game by virtue of their 8th straight win after a 59-14 beatdown win over Navy last time out. Preston Stone has thrown for 3,197 yards, 28 touchdowns and 6 interceptions on 59.9% passing while Jaylan Knighton has a team-high 645 rushing yards and 6 TDs and LJ Johnson Jr. has 542 rushing yards as well on the year. Camar Wheaton also has 393 rushing yards and 5 touchdowns. RJ Maryland has a team-high 462 receiving yards and 7 touchdowns while Jake Bailey has 450 receiving yards and a team-high 34 grabs. Three more Mustangs have 400+ receiving yards and another three have 300+ receiving yards as well on the year. On defense, Kobe Wilson has a team-high 63 total tackles while Elijah Roberts has a team-high 8.5 sacks and Elijah Chatman has 4.5 sacks. Isaiah Nwokobia also has a team-high 3 interceptions as well on the year.
SMU Mustangs Team Facts
- SMU has won each of its last nine games against conference opponents.
- SMU has failed to cover the spread in eight of its last nine games as a road underdog.
- SMU has won the first quarter in seven of its last eight games against conference opponents.
- SMU has won the first half in each of its last eight games against conference opponents.
- Five of SMU’s last six games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
Tulane Green Wave Team Preview
The Tulane Green Wave will enter the AAC title game on a 10-game win streak after a 29-16 win over UTSA punched the Green Wave’s ticket to the title game at 11-1 on the year. Michael Pratt has thrown for 2,168 yards, 21 touchdowns and 4 interceptions on 66.4% passing while Makhi Hughes has 1,246 rushing yards and 7 TDs to lead Tulane on the ground. Chris Brazzell II has a team-high 41 receptions for 670 receiving yards along with 5 touchdowns while Lawrence Keys III has 33 grabs for 599 yards with 7 scores and Jha’Quan Jackson has 421 receiving yards with 4 touchdowns. On defense, Jesus Machado has a team-high 92 total tackles while Darius Hodges has a team-high 7.5 sacks and Patrick Jenkins has 5.5 sacks on the year. Lance Robinson also leads Tulane’s defense with 4 interceptions this season.
Tulane Green Wave Team Facts
- Tulane has won each of its last 18 games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- The home team has covered the spread in each of the last four games between SMU and Tulane.
- Tulane has won the first quarter in five of its last six home games against conference opponents.
- Tulane has won the first half in five of its last six games against conference opponents.
- Each of Tulane’s last six games at Yulman Stadium have gone UNDER the total points line.
I’m on SMU and the points here. It wouldn’t surprise me if Tulane came out strong here and got the job done, and being in a true home field environment is definitely a big help, but Tulane also let a lot of teams hang around this season even at home, and SMU’s offense and even their defense got stronger as the season progressed. I see this ending up as a field goal game whichever way you slice it. Give me SMU and the points.