The Charlotte 49ers and the South Florida Bulls meet Saturday in college football action from Raymond James Stadium. Charlotte last appeared in a Saturday matchup versus Rice. The 3-8 49ers ended up losing by three scores. As for South Florida, they’re coming off a Friday game versus UTSA. In that one the Bulls dropped to 5-6 with a blowout defeat. You're welcome to read our Charlotte vs USF Prediction.
The 49ers have struggled mightily on the scoreboard this year, leading to just three wins in their first 10 games. Charlotte averaged only 18.9 points per game in that time, with 177.4 yards per game, six TDs and 12 interceptions on passes. Charlotte added 152.3 yards per game and 14 touchdowns with 3.9 yards per carry on the ground.
In their last game versus Rice, Charlotte gave up points in every quarter and didn’t score themselves until the fourth in a 28-7 loss. Trexler Ivey completed just eight passes for 51 yards, while Hahsaun Wilson rushed 14 times for 47 yards. Randy Fields added two catches for 18 yards.
Charlotte 49ers Team Facts
- The road team has won each of Charlotte's last six games.
- The road team has covered the spread in 10 of Charlotte's last 11 games.
- Charlotte has lost the first half in three of its last four games against conference opponents.
- Four of Charlotte's last five November road games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
South Florida Bulls
Over on the Bulls’ side, they managed only a .500 run over their first 10 outings this year despite averaging a respectable 29.9 points per game. South Florida put up 264.6 yards per game through the air with 18 touchdowns and eight picks. On rushing plays the Bulls averaged 188.8 yards per game and 4.1 yards per carry with 19 more scores.
Back on Friday against UTSA, the Bulls gave up 21 points in the second quarter and 14 in the third on the way to a 49-21 blowout loss. QB Byrum Brown managed 287 yards, one score and two picks. Nay’Quan Wright added 67 yards and a TD rushing, while Sean Atkins led the receivers with 92 yards on 10 catches.
South Florida Bulls Team Facts
- South Florida has lost each of its last 17 matches when playing with a rest advantage.
- South Florida has failed to cover the spread in each of its last six November games as a favorite against non-AP-ranked teams.
- South Florida has lost the first half in four of its last five games against conference opponents.
- Eight of South Florida's last nine games against conference opponents have gone OVER the total points line.
ANDREW’S FREE PICK
I’ll probably just stick with South Florida here. The Bulls should be in good shape, despite last weekend’s loss to a pretty good UTSA team. South Florida gave up a ton of production in that one, including 643 total yards (419 passing), 7.2 yards per play and 32 first downs. That makes 49 or more points surrendered in two of the last three games (both losses), but Charlotte should be much more manageable.
Speaking of the 49ers, they posted just 158 yards (74 passing) and 11 first downs versus Rice in their latest loss. Charlotte has now given up 26 or more points in four straight games, so if USF can hit that threshold in this one the Bulls should be fine.