Cleveland Guardians (54-58) vs Toronto Blue Jays (62-50)
2023-08-07 19:10:00 EDT
The Line: Betting Odds: Cleveland Guardians -111 / Toronto Blue Jays -116 --- Over/Under: 8.5
(Get latest betting odds)
The Toronto Blue Jays and the Cleveland Guardians meet Monday in MLB action from Progressive Field. The Blue Jays just finished up a series versus the rival Red Sox. Toronto posted wins in the first pair, then on Sunday the Jays won again in blowout fashion. As for Cleveland, they played the White Sox over the weekend and split the first pair of games. On Sunday in the rubber match the Guardians lost by two. Check back all season long for free MLB picks at Sports Chat Place.
Toronto Blue Jays
The Blue Jays took a 7-3 win over the Red Sox in the Friday opener of their series, then kept it up with a 5-4 win in game two. Brandon Belt helped out in that one with a homer and two RBI. In the Sunday finale Toronto kept it rolling with a dominant 13-1 win. Davis Schneider went 4-for-5 with four hits, a homer and four RBI. Matt Chapman added three RBI, and Kevin Kiermaier had a pair of RBI as well.
In the starter job for the Jays on Monday it’ll be Hyun Jin Ryu. In his lone start this year Ryu posted 5.0 innings with three strikeouts and four earned in a loss to the Orioles. It was Ryu’s first start since June 1, 2022.
Toronto Blue Jays Team Facts
- The Blue Jays have lost each of their last nine night games at Progressive Field following a win.
- The Blue Jays have covered the run line in each of their last seven road games.
- The Blue Jays have trailed after 3 innings in each of their last three games as road favourites against American League opponents.
- The Blue Jays have trailed after 7 innings in each of their last six Monday games as favourites.
- The ‘Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs’ market has hit in each of the Blue Jays’ last 12 night games against AL Central opponents.
Toronto Blue Jays Player Prop Facts
- Daulton Varsho has recorded an RBI in four of the Blue Jays’ last five road games against AL opponents.
- Matt Chapman has recorded at least one hit in each of the Blue Jays’ last 10 road games.
- Brandon Belt has recorded three or more total bases in each of his last four road appearances against AL opponents.
- Hyun-Jin Ryu has recorded six or more strikeouts in each of his three previous appearances with his team as a favourite against the Guardians.
- Vladimir Guerrero Jr. has hit a home run in three of his last four road appearances with the Blue Jays against AL opponents.
- George Springer has scored at least one run in eight of his last nine road appearances against AL opponents.
Over on the Guardians’ side, they beat the White Sox 4-2 in their weekend opener but then fell 7-4 on Saturday despite two RBI and a pair of hits from Will Brennan. On Sunday in the finale Cleveland scored all their runs in the fifth inning during a 5-3 loss. Myles Straw had a pair of hits, while Gabriel Arias had a two-run homer.
Gavin Williams will take the mound for the Guardians on Monday. Over his eight starts so far this year Williams is 1-3 with a 3.38 ERA and 37 Ks in 42.2 innings. In his last start Williams posted two earned runs in 5.0 innings during a loss to Houston.
Cleveland Guardians Team Facts
- The Guardians have won each of their last seven games as underdogs against the Blue Jays following a home loss.
- The Guardians have covered the run line in each of their last seven games as underdogs against the Blue Jays following a home loss.
- The Guardians have led after 5 innings in each of their last four games against AL East opponents.
- The Guardians have won the first inning in three of their last four games as home underdogs against AL East opponents.
- The Guardians have led after 3 innings in each of their last three games against the Blue Jays.
Cleveland Guardians Player Prop Facts
- Jose Ramirez has hit a home run in three of his last eight appearances against the Blue Jays after playing the previous day.
- Steven Kwan has scored at least one run in each of the Guardians’ last eight home games against AL East opponents.
- Jose Ramirez has recorded an RBI in six of his last seven home appearances against AL opponents that held a winning record.
- Jose Ramirez has recorded two or more hits in five of his last six home appearances against AL opponents that held a winning record.
- Jose Ramirez has recorded two or more total bases in each of his last six home appearances against AL opponents that held a winning record.
- The Cleveland Guardians ranks 1st in the league for strikeouts against this season (775).
- The Cleveland Guardians ranks 30th in the league for home runs this season (84).
- The Toronto Blue Jays ranks T2nd in the league for hits this season (1015).
- The Toronto Blue Jays ranks 2nd in the league for strikeouts this season (1072).
ANDREW’S FREE PICK
I’m going to stay with the Guardians. Williams is doing a good job on the mound these days, but he’s just 0-1 in his last three starts so he’ll need some help on the scoreboard. Over that trio of starts however, Williams has just three earned runs in 13.0 innings on 12 hits and 10 walks. If he can keep the free passes down in this one I like Williams to notch a quality start. (It’ll be interesting to see what Ryu does, though.) On Sunday, Cleveland had just the one big inning but the bullpen was strong on 4.0 frames, five hits, no earned, no walks and eight strikeouts. The Guardians are going to have to work to slow down the Jays offense, but I think they’ll keep things manageable and eke out a win.