The San Diego Padres and the Houston Astros meet Sunday in MLB action from Minute Maid Park. This will be the final matchup in a three-game weekend series. In the opener San Diego managed a blowout victory, then in game two the Astros evened things up with a two-run win. Check back all season long for free MLB picks at Sports Chat Place.
San Diego Padres
In Friday’s opener matchup of this series, the Padres scored four runs in the second inning on the way to an 11-2 win. On Saturday San Diego had a 4-1 lead at one point but ended up falling 7-5. Jurickson Profar put up three hits, two RBI and a homer in the loss.
As starter for the Sunday game, the Padres are going with Matt Waldron. This year Waldron is 0-2 with a 5.12 ERA over four games (two starts). Waldron has 14 strikeouts over 19.1 total frames.
San Diego Padres Team Facts
- The Padres have lost each of their last eight Sunday road games.
- The Padres have failed to cover the run line in each of their last four road games against American League opponents after playing the previous day.
- The Padres have led after 3 innings in each of their last four road day games.
- The Padres have trailed after 7 innings in each of their last four day games at Minute Maid Park against AL West opponents.
- The Padres have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last four day games at Minute Maid Park against American League opponents.
Over on the Astros’ side, their only RBI came from Jordan Alvarez (run; three BBs) and Jose Abreu in Friday’s big loss. In game two Houston scored five runs during a runaway fifth-inning performance. Both Jordan Alvarez (two runs) and Kyle Tucker had two RBI apiece on the way to the victory.
JP France will take the mound for Houston in the starter role on Sunday. Over his 21 games (20 starts) so far this year France is 10-5 with a 3.72 ERA and 91 Ks in 121.0 innings. France is 4-2 with a 5.70 ERA over his last seven games (six starts).
Houston Astros Team Facts
- The Astros have won each of their last 11 day games against National League opponents following a home win.
- The road team has covered the run line in 12 of the Astros' last 13 games.
- The Astros have led after 5 innings in each of their last seven day games against National League opponents.
- The 'Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs' market has hit in each of the Astros' last three day games against National League opponents.
- The Astros have won the first inning in each of their last five Sunday home games against National League opponents.
- The Houston Astros ranks 3rd in the league for strikeouts against this season (1100).
- The Houston Astros are one of only 3 teams in the league to rank top 10 in both strikeouts and on-base percentage this season.
- The San Diego Padres ranks 2nd in the league for walks this season (574).
- The San Diego Padres ranks T27th in the league for triples this season (11).
ANDREW’S FREE PICK
I’ll take a stab on the Padres here. France has been pretty erratic over his last three starts, so San Diego should have a few early opportunities in this finale. Back on August 29, France put up a nice outing in a win over Boston with 5.2 innings and two earned runs. In the two starts before and after that however, France is 0-1 with 7.1 innings, 15 earned runs, 17 hits and five walks. In Saturday’s game, Houston used a lot of bullpen arms (six) behind Cristian Javier, who finished on 4.0 innings and four earned. If France gets into a jam early, the Astros could be short on arms late in this game.