Philadelphia Phillies (93-73) vs Atlanta Braves (105-59)
2023-10-12 20:07:00 EDT
The Line: Betting Odds: Philadelphia Phillies +126 / Atlanta Braves -149 --- Over/Under: 8.5
(Get latest betting odds)
The Atlanta Braves and Philadelphia Phillies clash Thursday in game 4 of the NLDS playoffs at Citizens Bank Park. Let’s preview this game and give out a pick and prediction.
Atlanta Braves Betting Preview
The Braves need a win here to force a deciding game 5 on Saturday. The Braves pitching staff got rocked for 10 runs in Wednesday’s game 3 loss, but the offense didn’t do many favors either. The Braves were comfortably the best offense in baseball this season, but they’ve been held to 2 or fewer runs in 2 of the first 3 games in this series. The Braves have lost 5 straight games when scoring 4 or fewer runs. Ozzie Albies leads the Braves with 4 hits and 1 RBI, while Austin Riley and Matt Olson have combined for 7 hits and 2 RBI. Spencer Strider gets the ball, and he was 20-5 with a 3.86 ERA and 281 strikeouts this season. Strider is 0-2 with a 5.79 ERA and 12 strikeouts in his postseason career.
Atlanta Braves Team Facts
- The Braves have won each of their last eight Thursday night games.
- The Braves have failed to cover the run line eight of their last nine games against NL East opponents that held a winning record.
- The Braves have trailed after 3 innings in three of their last four playoff games as favorites against NL East opponents.
- The Braves have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last four playoff games as favorites against NL East opponents.
- The Braves have trailed after 7 innings in each of their last four playoff games as favorites against NL East opponents.
Philadelphia Phillies Betting Preview
The Phillies will make back-to-back NLCS appearances with a victory here. The Phillies improve to 4-1 this postseason and the offense is averaging 5.6 runs. The offense is going to get love for Wednesday’s win, but the Phillies pitching has allowed 2 or fewer runs in 4 of the 5 games as well. Basically, the Phillies are firing on all cylinders at the right time. Trea Turner leads the Phillies with 8 hits and 2 RBI, while Nick Castellanos and Bryce Harper have combined for 12 hits and 8 RBI. Ranger Suarez gets the ball, and he was 4-6 with a 4.18 ERA and 119 strikeouts this season. Suarez is 2-0 with a 0.98 ERA and 17 strikeouts in his postseason career.
Philadelphia Phillies Team Facts
- The Phillies have won each of their last seven home games against NL East opponents.
- The Phillies have covered the run line in each of their last seven playoff games against NL East opponents.
- The Phillies have led after 3 innings in three of their last four playoff games as underdogs against NL East opponents.
- The Phillies have led after 5 innings in each of their last seven playoff games against NL East opponents.
- The Phillies have led after 7 innings in each of their last seven playoff games against NL East opponents.
The Braves are getting the benefit of the doubt because they were the best team all year and Spencer Strider was a big part of that success. Strider led the league with 20 wins and 281 strikeouts, so I get it. However, Strider has had hiccups in a limited postseason role, and this will be the second time this series a hot Phillies’ offense will see him. Suarez held the Braves scoreless in 3.2 innings he faced them last Saturday. While a Braves win wouldn’t be surprising, the value is with the Phillies and the plus money. We’re seeing a team fie on all cylinders and the confidence is building. I want the more favorable price in my pocket.